Dayton DC28f Stickiness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.
I bought Dayton DC28F tweeters. And one thing worries me. Domes are really sticky. And in one hour outside box tweeter is already covered with dust particles that can not be reamoved. Thats sad. It means I have to use grill cloth on speakers. If I don't i think they will be fluffy like chickens in no time. Maybe they dry over time and become non sticky? I would not have bought them if i knew this problem. How insane engineers have to be, to make it sticky :confused:

Tweeter already looks nasty with those litle dust and hairs on dome. After about 1 hour in my room (not in some workshop)
Could someone who uses them in speakers for some time, tell me how they look after some time without ant grille?

http://i.xomf.com/kkjss.jpg
http://i.xomf.com/jblhn.jpg

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have same problem - but learned to ignore it - they sound great and rival the sound of much more expensive tweeters. The stickiness is the nature of the viscous damping compound that gives it the smooth sonic quality. It's a gel basically and it never dries. Use water on a soft lint free cloth to gently wipe it and use fine tweezers to pick off large bits. Mostly, just don't worry about it as it doesn't t affect the sound with minor debris. If it really bothers you PE/Dayton is good with returns and get the RS28F for $50.

I have same problem - but learned to ignore it - they sound great and rival the sound of much more expensive tweeters. The stickiness is the nature of the viscous damping compound that gives it the smooth sonic quality. It's a gel basically and it never dries. Use water on a soft lint free cloth to gently wipe it and use fine tweezers to pick off large bits. Mostly, just don't worry about it as it doesn't t affect the sound with minor debris. If it really bothers you PE/Dayton is good with returns and get the RS28F for $50.

Thank you. I should not have created this thread. But dumb me saw your thread too late. Thanks for effort, answering me two times :eek:
RS28F is realy nice. But I will stick (no pun intended) with DC28F. I think they are great value. My dipoles need 4 of them, so 4x RS28F would be a little too costly for me. Maybe in future, just because they are so beautifull and well protected.
And i will cover my baffles anyway with very thin cloth, to protect from peoples fingers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.