Dayton Audio DSP-LF Low Frequency DSP Controller

Problem lies in that no matter how much DSP you throw at it, one sub is still one sub and DSP is working against the most challenging situation possible…..one narrow band point source with omnidirectional output.

For $99 they should/could have offered 4 outputs for bass all with independent DSP flexibilitiy……that would have opened their market tremendously. They made the choice to use 1/8” connections for real estate…..they could have fit 3 more outputs for sure.

I am disappointed that Dayton do have some sample frquency response charts.

I want to use one to emulate an adjustable Linkwitz Transform equaliser but it's not clear to me whether it will be able to do it.

I spent yesterday measuring the woofer in free air and in its 27l enclosure (I have two identical subs).
The free air resonance is 34Hz and 58 in the enclosure.
According to Rod Elliot's speaker spreadsheet, the Qts is 0.46, Qes is 0,6 and the Qms is 2.13.
These give a Vas of 54.

https://sound-au.com/tsp.htm

I have Rod's LT pcb (#71) and entering the above values into this page gives me the values.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/Calculators/CCC.html#c

But a small measurement error can result in a widely different component values, hence I thought the DSP-LF might make fine tuning much easier and quicker.

Maybe I'll ask Dayton for their comments.

Attachments

• MLWOOFER2.jpg
    MLWOOFER2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 19
  • MLWOOFER1.jpg
    MLWOOFER1.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 16
Just an update.

I have to say this is working well and realtime control by the app is useful.

I have now gone the 'whole hog;' and bought a t.racks DSP 4x4 from Thomann which lets me adjust the rest of the audio band and provide adjustable crossovers. It's a bargain at £115 delivered to the UK and the results are equally impressive with tangible benefits from being able to fine tune the speakers.

I haven't tried REW and my measurement mic yet so that's expected to improve the results even more.

Reactions: 1 user
The DSP-LF is the 3.5mm version and comes with jack to rca plugs.

The t.rack has 1/4" TRS jacks and is converted to RCA with adaptors so it just connected in place of my active crossover.

There is one software mod I would suggest to the manufacturers and that is being able to link two channels so when one is changed, the other is also changed. At present you have to copy one to the other after every change.

I use INa as left input to Out 1 (mid/woofer) & Out 3 (HF) and INb as right input to Out 2 and Out 4