Dark screen on a laptop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A laptop no light on the screen came in and I send it to the dealer to repair it.
They told me the back-light was broken. I agreed to have it repaired.
A few weeks later it returned with exactly the same problem.
So I called the dealer to ask him what happened.
He told me to return the PC and now they call me to tell me that the screen is probably broken which causes the back-light to fail over and over.
I have no experience with this kind of things so I would like to ask you guys if this story makes sense.

Thanks

/Hugo :)

Most likely it got damaged during shipping (when they sent it back) because they test it after the fix it right? If thats not the case, than maybe there is something overpowering the backlight, like a bad adapter (try it with battery if u havent already). Best solution is - take off the casing on the screen and everything else around it so its see through, and plop it on to an overhead projector and use ur laptop as a projector (it wont be very portable than.... hehe:D

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks ancorp
What I wanted to know is if it is possible that a broken screen can damage the backlight.
As I said, I have absolutely no idea how these things work.
Is there some electrical connection between the screen and the backlight? Something like the screen taking too much current with a series connected backlight or so?
If this isn't the case, my dealer is just trying to get rid of his responsibility. That's what I want to find out.

/Hugo :)

when you paid for the laptop you where paying for the lcd
mostly. i would say he is taking you for a ride. he likely found out it was the bulb and not the power converter. the bulb is sealed in the lcd. you need to replace the lcd. to fix it:xeye:

:)

is it a sony? if so it's the power converter;)

you need to replace the lcd to replace the bulb? that doesnt sound right. Sure its built in tight, but it shud be replacable, otherwise, wtf, tha bulb is gone and u need a new screen? that sux. BTW if you search hard enough, you can probably get a lcd screen for ur laptop very cheap depending on how famous your laptop is, usually under 50$ :D

P.s. how much did the company charge you for the first time you sent it to them, and did they refund the money?

Ancorp

Yes The panel with bulb (CCFL) is a complete unit which may NOT be opened.
If your panel (bulb) is broken during transport you can ask compensation from repair centre or transport factory.
It is their fault.

But the problem was the same before you sent in for repair?
Maybey they have done nothing or cannot find a new (used) panel. The bulb is very known to go defective just like a TL tube.
Well in that case you can only found a new or used panel on ebay. And then change it
There are a lot of them on ebay and cheap. to search the right panel just open your laptop and put what is written behind the panel. (like LM133x... or LQ14... or TX...)

succes
Kickstarter

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, the A900 Pcchips with UB141X01 returned today.
http://www.google.be/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ub141x01
I opened it but all I see is something rather frightening to start working at.
It’s my job to repair electronics but this goes behind my comprehension.
I’ll leave the option to buy something at Ebay to the customer, the only thing that annoys me is that I have to charge him a lot of money for something I couldn’t fix. But of course this is not the forum’s problem. :)

/Hugo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.