• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dared MC-7P Upgrades

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have updated the tube swap article to include the ground loop issue and one other I discovered while poking around: wrong values in the RIAA network. don;t get me started about stupid manufacturing mistakes but mine had one that is just inexcusable and points a finger at the quality control department.

Wondering if anyone has a bit more information about this RIAA issue. I'm specifically curious to know if this is actually an engineering issue or one of quality control? Is the RIAA network correct in the schematic, and inline_phil's unit was manufactured not according to spec? That's something that I would consider a qc issue, whereas if the design is actually wrong then it's likely a much more widespread problem, i.e. lots of units would need the fix applied. Wondering if inline_phil's was just a one-off mistake?

Remove power supply section's metal "guard?"

Has anyone removed the odd piece of metal that segregates the 3 power supply tubes from the 4 others? I just find that whenever I replace/swap the 5UG or the 6V6 or the one 12ax7 in that section, I end up having to remove all the tubes. I just feel like that stupid metal bar is getting in the way. What's the purpose of that bar anyway?

I've never opened up my MC 7P, but it appears that removing the base doesn't provide access to whatever affixes this metal bar to the unit's enclosure. Any advice or words of caution?

Thanks

Also, the following is a list of the tubes I currently have installed:

RCA 5U4G, RCA 6V6GT, (now from left to right) a Electroharmonix goldpin 12AX7, a Mullard CV4024/12AT7, a Baldwin 12AX7, and a pair of ribbed plate Telefunkens for the phonostage.

Just picked up a few new (old stock) tubes, so I plan to try a few new combonations this weekend. I won't be messing with the phonostage, I have no plans to upgrade those two.

Correction, update

My mistake, the rectifier I have is an RCA 5U5G.

Lately I have been using a Tung Sol 5U4G brown base in place of the aforementioned RCA. It sounds great! Might not be as sonically accurate as the RCA 5U5G, but it just sounds amazing when listening to a lot of my favorite Jazz and Soul albums. Specifically a lot of my favorite instruments sound great when using this tube, including: hollow body jazz guitars, rhodes and electric organs, vibes and more. As a result I have kept this Tung Sol in for the last few weeks.

I have also swapped around the 6V6. I have an RCA 6V6GT that seems to be great, but wanted to try a few others. One was terrible, a metal jacket RCA JAN 6V6Y. The other I tried recently was an RCA JAN-CRC-6Y6G-VT. It sounds good so far, but its large and barely fits (due to that stupid metal bar I mentioned in my earlier post). Right now with the Tung Sol 5U4G installed this 6Y6G fits, but it won't fit if/when I switch back to big RCA 5U5G...

More later, I have some 12AX7s to test next.

Last edited:
I recently purchased the new iPhono class A phono preamp to use while I did some mods on my Jolida. My Jolida blows that away hands down. The iPhono has gotten some good reviews but is lifeless compared to the Jolida.
This is only from memory, but the iPhono was better than the Dared in clarity and gain... of course it is a $400.00 stand alone phono section.

The New 2014 Edition

Greeting's,

I am about to purchase this amp and I am curious if all of the issues that made you mod the previous models have been addressed in the 2014 edition or will the mods still be recommended?

Total newb here so as a side question in this class is there a better way to go. Some of you have owned other amps and may be able to shed light. Pretty old thread but I hope to hear from someone.

Thank you!

Hi just got myself a Dared pre and the sound I think is wonderful after a tube swap, but I still have an irritating crackling shushing noise in the background when i am on silent, I wondered if this was the noise you had before the ground loop mod or if not do you have any ideas for a cure??
Steve

So, I just ordered up some new tubes and a few spares for my unit.

- Genalex - Gold Lion 6V6GT / CV511
- 4 NOS-12AT7-MULLARD 12AT7 / ECC81 Mullard
- 4 MU-12AX7 Mullard 12AX7 / ECC83 New Production

I'm also thinking of replacing the 5U4 with a NOS RCA.
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/rca-5u4gb

I'm very open and appreciative to any advice on preamp tube configurations, tube rolling suggestions, etc. Curious if anyone has thoughts on the NOS RCA 54U?

I've not noticed any audible grounding issues with my preamp, does the mod really make any difference?

Thanks everyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.