Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I just wanted to note that using a linear PSU on any x86 motherboard by no means avoids the switching PSUs. The CPU is powered by under 2 volts with many amps, no reasonable linear PSU can handle that, hence the integrated onboard SMSPs.

Even most low-power routers/embedded boards have a built-in SMPS. Perhaps this ancient guy Výsledky obrázk? Google pro http://www.ixbt.com/comm/wireless/asus-wl-500b/inside.jpg does not have any.
You are right. I am aware of that.

But I try to power as much as reasonably possible with linear power supplies. And because power consumption of fanless boards is low this is not that difficult.

Peter

Intel D2500CCE Dual Core Atom D2500 Mini-ITX Motherboard | Cedarview

I am considering this motherboard for a dedicated Daphile computer. Should be powerful enough for Daphile. It is a fanless motherboard with a 24 pin ATX power connector. The advantage is that I can use multiple linear power supplies to power the board, thus avoiding switching power supplies. Single 12V powered boards generate onboard the required additional voltages (3.3V and 5V).
Any recommendations or other options to consider?

Peter
Hi,

I don't want to recommend anything that I haven't used by myself. But I would rather consider something based on Atom N2600 or N2800 instead of D2500 due to the lower TDPs (N2600:3.5W@1.6GHz, N2800:6.5W@1.86GHz and D2500:10W@1.86GHz). I have used by myself the Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B but for the next board I would like to have USB3.

where can I get the source and or package list?
The source code is not distributed separately through Daphile web page. Daphile is build using mostly the standard Gentoo ebuilds. If you want the package list please contact me through the Contact form in www.daphile.com and I'll send it to you. Some parts of Daphile that I have developed by myself are not open source.

Last edited:
What I miss is a good explanation of how to configure the system (Daphile Wiki?).

First, when I ripped a CD, it was (default) written to the USB boot-drive. Now I have configured it to rip to the internal HD and it seems during ripping that it is doing so. But after the rip is done the internal HD shows no folders or files. Only “blank disk”.

I have not found a possibility to copy files to the Daphile internal HD. Not from an attached USB HD and also not from the network.

Perhaps I need more information about squeezebox software first to understand how things work.

Peter
I agree that the documentation should be improved. There is just some learning curve for me because I haven't used Wiki before. And there always seems to be more urgent (and interesting) things to do.

Did you manage to solve the ripping target problem or do you think there is some kind of bug?

Daphile does not support copying from USB HDD to internal HDD but Daphile should behave as a file server and you can configure which disks are shared ("Share" column in Storages configuration). You should be able copy your music there if you have also checked the "RW" column for the disk.

When the music is copied there Daphile LMS should automatically rescan new music. There is a short delay (with network shares it could be even 10mins if I remember right).

Hi,

I don't want to recommend anything that I haven't used by myself. But I would rather consider something based on Atom N2600 or N2800 instead of D2500 due to the lower TDPs (N2600:3.5W@1.6GHz, N2800:6.5W@1.86GHz and D2500:10W@1.86GHz). I have used by myself the Jetway JBC362F36W-2600-B but for the next board I would like to have USB3.

Hi Kipeta,

Thank you for the useful information! I will search for boards using Atom N2600.

Peter

I agree that the documentation should be improved. There is just some learning curve for me because I haven't used Wiki before. And there always seems to be more urgent (and interesting) things to do.

Did you manage to solve the ripping target problem or do you think there is some kind of bug?

Daphile does not support copying from USB HDD to internal HDD but Daphile should behave as a file server and you can configure which disks are shared ("Share" column in Storages configuration). You should be able copy your music there if you have also checked the "RW" column for the disk.

When the music is copied there Daphile LMS should automatically rescan new music. There is a short delay (with network shares it could be even 10mins if I remember right).

Hi Kipeta,

Yes I have checked the “RW” and “Share” column but cannot reach the internal HD in the Daphile PC from the network. Also the CD I ripped to this disk is not visible. It is just a blank disk with no files on it. Do I need a specific filesystem on this disk? Perhaps I need to format it again.

Peter

The source code is not distributed separately through Daphile web page. Daphile is build using mostly the standard Gentoo ebuilds. If you want the package list please contact me through the Contact form in www.daphile.com and I'll send it to you. Some parts of Daphile that I have developed by myself are not open source.

I should of clarified - I want to build the image myself - which if there is closed source code would explain why I can't (and sadly causes me to completely lose interest in this software/distro)

Thanks though.