Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I am extremely annoyed by these claims in sound difference, as they seem to be completely unsubstantiated and based on unreliable "tests". The reason why I'm particularly annoyed, is because this may influence new and existing users to use older versions, giving them an otherwise degraded experience because they're not able to use fixes and new features, plus it increases the burden on the maker because he will get lots of complaints from older versions that may have long been fixed. It's just confusing and annoying to deal with, for all of us.

Now, all of this would have been different if there was real evidence for the difference in sound, in the form of at least a plausible explanation in terms of changes in settings or software, or a real measurement between versions. Something like RMAA would be ideally suited for measurements, it's not hard to do, it just requires a decent sound card to do the measurements. Considering the amount of money people with these complaints are willing to spend on sound quality, it almost seems silly that hardly any of this budget is spent on actually measuring real results.
The differences in perceived listening can not be called into question if the tests are done with a minimum of the criterion. I have my perceptions, you have yours. We are equal . There is no evidence instrumental value in this field because listening is done with their ears and brain that integrate sensations. This can not be transfer to a hardware device and at the moment this is out of the question.
I have tried in the same system hardware which I have already reported in several previous post player under linux: Raspyfi, Volumio, deadbeef, MpdPup and VoyageMPD.
VoyageMPD has long been my favorite player until I tried Daphile.
I immediately perceived superiority of Daphile in terms of audio performance as well, and although I was sorry I left VoyageMPD.
Daphile is currently my absolute reference and this superiority for me is indisputable. The tests I conducted in my listening system that has never changed has led me to believe the superior performance compared to the previous version which I have indicated.
I have not talked to confusion or to criticize the software. But simply to highlight a problem. And not only that I had these feelings but also other users. I also raised the issue, before to post here,to the software developer.
If you get bored you must have patience, I took the floor to share not to vane of nonsense. I do not have time to waste on nonsense.

Last edited:
I returned to August version, to me it is the best sounding version.
I switched between the october release and the August release many time.
My crazy mind suggest the August release is more musical at each listening.
Well, kipeta is great, this software is great.
To him the biggest thanks from mine.
I have the utmost respect for those who say that the two versions sound the same
It is not importants what I think or what you think, it is importants enjoy the Music.

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have tried in the same system hardware which I have already reported in several previous post player under linux: Raspyfi, Volumio, deadbeef, MpdPup and VoyageMPD.

Tried on the same hardware?

Raspify = linux distribution for ARM RPi
Volumio = linux distribution for ARM devices

deadbeef - not a distribution, just a regular player, most likely tested on regular x86 PC in ubuntu
mpdpup, voyageMPD, daphile - linux distributions for x86

VoyageMPD has long been my favorite player until I tried Daphile.
I immediately perceived superiority of Daphile in terms of audio performance as well, and although I was sorry I left VoyageMPD.

Linux audio is open source, there is no room for voodoo claims like in closed-source commercial software. If configured bit-perfect (which the above packages are), it will use the same HW in the same way.

Daphile is currently my absolute reference and this superiority for me is indisputable. The tests I conducted in my listening system that has never changed has led me to believe the superior performance compared to the previous version which I have indicated.

Do a blind test between the different versions of linux audio distributions/versions on the same HW . If you can tell a difference between them in a blind listening test, you can come back and ask the developer to fix an objective problem causing the audible difference. Without that it is just a report on your feeling, no credible report to start some debugging and troubleshooting.

You can run the blind test e.g. by having them all installed in separate partitions on SSD to minimize delays between runs and asking a friend to boot each randomly for you, or you can script the grub-reboot to reboot randomly and write which system was chosen to some common file.

The differences in perceived listening can not be called into question

Of course they can. The ear-brain combination is a notoriously unreliable instrument.

if the tests are done with a minimum of the criterion.
Right - and those criteria would be controlled. level-matched double-blind testing, preferably ABX or MUSHRA. See ITU-R BS.1116-2 and BS.1534-2.

I have my perceptions, you have yours. We are equal.
In terms of subjective opinions, yes. That is why we can't rely on subjective opinions except for ourselves. When you are asking developers to work on an issue, it has to be based on more than just a subjective opinion.

There is no evidence instrumental value in this field
That is of course patently wrong. See the two standards recommendations I mentioned above.

I do not have time to waste on nonsense.
But you are asking developers to waste their time on your subjective, unverified feelings?

Julf
to say that subjective judgment is unreliable does not mean no value to its formulation, because at the time the judgment is formed acquires an absolute reality for the person who lives it.
there is no possibility to objectify instrumentally perception.
the only possibility is the comparison between my experience and that of other people.
The success of a software to listen to the music that it is ultimately the best way to bring us closer to a realistic reproduction of the musical content. This should be the main goal of those involved in developing it.
If the software developer will consider what I have said he'll decide if it's worth it or not to intervene. I'm not bothering with fantasy but with the report of a careful discussion and confrontation.
If these my feelings are shared by many other people you might have some value to address the problem of finding the cause.
otherwise I will have to accept the situation

My subjective and objective findings are: DaPhile sounds as good in it's latest version as it did in the first version. The largest improvement I ever noticed from flacs playing on a pc into my stereo system was switching to an outboard DAC.
My music server playing thru a Schiit Modi DAC sounds nearly as good as my NAD 541c cd player. That's good enough for me.
I abandoned Subsonic running on Ubuntu and VoyageMPD for the DaPhile distro. So far I have heard no reason to switch again.

Hello,
Kipeta, you did a tremendous job with daphile.
It works very well with my audiolab mdac.
Is there any reason it is not opensource ? you seemed to intend to put your project on sourceforge but it is still not...
This can be a great problem for some people and I would love to spread the word about your work throughout the community.
Moreover you could get some help to fasten the project and maybe accelerate a port to arm devices.
Go on like that and open it ... please ;-)

Hello,
Kipeta, you did a tremendous job with daphile.
It works very well with my audiolab mdac.
Is there any reason it is not opensource ? you seemed to intend to put your project on sourceforge but it is still not...
This can be a great problem for some people and I would love to spread the word about your work throughout the community.
Moreover you could get some help to fasten the project and maybe accelerate a port to arm devices.
Go on like that and open it ... please ;-)
Perhaps you are asking too much ... but it's true, Kipeta did a great job, very great.

why should it make it open?

Well, because, as Kipeta wrote in the start post of this thread, "Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux.". If it worked for Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux, why wouldn't it benefit Daphile too?

I am sure you have heard of Linus's Law, "given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow", or more formally "Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix will be obvious to someone".

Because the project wouldn't have been possible in the beginning without the 200+ gnu/linux packages used in Daphile.
Because he could benefit from great help by the community.
Because DIY is about sharing things.
Because open source is so great ! :)

Yes, I have the same thinking.

Or on the oppposite, if Kipeta doesn't want to release it, as Open Source project.
I expect he associates with one of the famous HIFI brand.

Staying alone on a project - on long term - is just so risky.