Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I am using a Windows PC in the same network to initiate the copying process. But the USB disk drive is directly connected to the Dahpile PC.

IIUC your data flow daphile HDD -> wrapping in daphile samba -> network -> windows -> unwrapping in windows SMB/CIFS client -> wrapping in SMB/CIFS client for the USB network share -> network -> unwrapping in daphile samba -> copying to USB.

What is your ethernet speed? Or even wifi?

Wi-Fi speeds are fast

Are they? 2MB/s = 16 Mbps + SMB huge overhead (protocol, encryption) + long unpredictable latency of wifi. People regularly report < 1MB/s samba speed over wifi. Perhaps samba params in daphile could be tweaked to improve the throughput - google offers lots of help. But again - no ssh access, read-only filesystem on daphile...

Also writing music from a Windows PC to Daphile PC is slow (2Mb/sec.).

dtto

BBC HLS stream problems.
Hello can anyone help with a bbc HLS stream problem. I have tried Daphiles from 14 to the latest 18.07 but cant get the hls stream. If I do it sounds like very loud white noise with bbc almost inaudible.
I have enabled plugins bbc iplayer and play hls, but still no luck. I am using a variety of old pcs and laptops but doesn't help. My dual core system does work but that has the same 18.07 on. I have a choice of streams to listen to.
Has anyone any ideas.
Thanks
thyristor44

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Roon is super easy to use, easy on reboots and finding the music server and library on the network. The user has little to do with Roon. It's more DLNA/uPNP type setup.
Daphile is a little more DIY. You have to know how to write the image to the boot disk and find the management IP address, especially if you run headless. You can see the IP for a short time on daphile if you connect a monitor to the server hardware.

There's probably some trick in Daphile to be more basic user friendly. I don't worry about it too much since I work in IT. Some people just want the piece of mind of a fully plug and play setup and will pay for it. Roon has some nice features too, graphically it's really appealing. Daphile's not bad either. Depends what you want and need.

What is the difference between Roon and daphile apart from the fact that daphile is free. All I ever hear on commercially orientated forums is Roon Roon Roon Roon... and never any mention of daphile. What does Roon do that daphile does not ?

cheers

Daphile is a development of the open source Logitech Media Server by an obliging fellow named Kimmo who does it out of interest, and can be found at Daphile – Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles. It has had considerable improvements over the five years (maybe more) I have been using and thoroughly enjoying it.

It has considerable capabilities and does everything I want. The only thing missing is AFL on internet radio but that is the fault of the AFL, not Daphile. :) You should check the website to see how much it can do. It is the perfect companion to your pre-amp.

The 'problem' is that it is free and cannot be used for one-up-manship, in the way some expensive and not equally capable competitor can. You may have seen, on this forum, people extolling the enormous virtues of method ABC or product XYZ and rolled your eyes, as I do regularly. For some, something can only be 'high-end' if it costs a left gonad, or more.

Daphile has a x86 version and can run of harware that even Windows XP would trouble. My Daphile runs on an old PC rescued from the tip and does it easily. I have installed a cheap 16G SSD, only because I could but it doesn't need it. I only rip to FLAC 8 and rip Redbook CDs to my NAS, over 800 of them. I use an open source Android app, Squeezer, to control it.

Daphile does need a monitor and keyboard connected for the initial setup and not ever again. I use a static IP address so conection issues are minimised.Even without a static address, Squeezer scans and finds Daphile quickly. I use a network scanner, Fing, if there are any network problems. Any management of Daphile can be done by a web browser using the IP address. All settings can be changed this way.

Right, with that all said, the short answer to your question is; snobbery. PM me if you want anymore information.

Last edited:
Roon is super easy to use, easy on reboots and finding the music server and library on the network. The user has little to do with Roon. It's more DLNA/uPNP type setup.
Daphile is a little more DIY. You have to know how to write the image to the boot disk and find the management IP address, especially if you run headless. You can see the IP for a short time on daphile if you connect a monitor to the server hardware.

There's probably some trick in Daphile to be more basic user friendly. I don't worry about it too much since I work in IT. Some people just want the piece of mind of a fully plug and play setup and will pay for it. Roon has some nice features too, graphically it's really appealing. Daphile's not bad either. Depends what you want and need.

Thanks for the reply.

Other than that they both seem to achieve the same objective.

Can Roon run on a PC or do you have to have special hardware for it ? Does it need to have Windows installed or does it have its own OS like daphile does ?

Also pardon my ignorance but are the libraries it's searching for in some sort of proprietary format or just standard audio files stored on some remote server etc.

regards
david

Daphile is a development of the open source Logitech Media Server by an obliging fellow named Kimmo who does it out of interest, and can be found at Daphile – Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles. It has had considerable improvements over the five years (maybe more) I have been using and thoroughly enjoying it.

It has considerable capabilities and does everything I want. The only thing missing is AFL on internet radio but that is the fault of the AFL, not Daphile. :) You should check the website to see how much it can do. It is the perfect companion to your pre-amp.

The 'problem' is that it is free and cannot be used for one-up-manship, in the way some expensive and not equally capable competitor can. You may have seen, on this forum, people extolling the enormous virtues of method ABC or product XYZ and rolled your eyes, as I do regularly. For some, something can only be 'high-end' if it costs a left gonad, or more.

Daphile has a x86 version and can run of harware that even Windows XP would trouble. My Daphile runs on an old PC rescued from the tip and does it easily. I have installed a cheap 16G SSD, only because I could but it doesn't need it. I only rip to FLAC 8 and rip Redbook CDs to my NAS, over 800 of them. I use an open source Android app, Squeezer, to control it.

Daphile does need a monitor and keyboard connected for the initial setup and not ever again. I use a static IP address so conection issues are minimised.Even without a static address, Squeezer scans and finds Daphile quickly. I use a network scanner, Fing, if there are any network problems. Any management of Daphile can be done by a web browser using the IP address. All settings can be changed this way.

Right, with that all said, the short answer to your question is; snobbery. PM me if you want anymore information.

Thanks for the reply.

Can daphile be used to stream audio from say Tidal or Spotify or do you just need a browser to do this etc ?

cheers
david

Daphile does both using plugins, under Advanced Media Server settings. Again, these are adminitered by the web GUI.

If you have an old PC with a hard disk that can be overwritten, it only takes 15 minutes to download and setup. After that, you only need three conectors; audio out, network and mains power.

Roon is recognized for its media management. People usually swap out roon player for HQ player. Roon also supports cambridge audio mqa formats which daphile currently cannot. Room Rock is an OS linux inclusive version of roon. Otherwise roon runs on top of an existing OS which will then need tuning.

Based on Logitech lms, there is a rich assortment of plugins available to daphile which enables access to a wealth of functionality including CD ripping, tidal integration and DSD processing. For example you can use daphile to upsample to dsd512 or 768 depending on the capabilities of your DAC.

A major issue with roon on windows, other than endless windows updates, is the need to install usb drivers for your DAC.

Daphile new user feedback (and unfortunately issues)

Hello All,

I am a new Daphile user since a few weeks.

My previous configuration was Foobar/Windows.

Musically, Daphile seems better than foobar, instruments and singers take place more precisely between loudspeakers.

I face an issue on DSF files with Daphile (my Dac is DSD natively compliant, and reads .dsf files natively when using foobar)
I can't listen to .dsf files natively with Daphile : the only sound which can be heard is background noise.
Weird !! Because my TempoTec Serenade DSD is identified in the list of Dac with DSD native mode support added since 2017, according the official Daphile list.

I would like to know if there is any particular setting or any plugin to install so that DSF files could be listened natively through my Dsd DAC.

NB : I tested all that on two different PCs, and of course on several different .dsf files, all readable natively with foobar/Windows.

Any help would really be appreciated !!

Many Thanks

PS : Daphile settings attached

Attachments

• Paramétrages Daphile.doc
    145.5 KB · Views: 126