Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

BTW, these Features would make Daphile even better (at least for me :D):

- Automatic Play last Album/Rosio Station after Power loss (my Wife often simply pushes the Power Button an want's to listen to the same Radio Station after she turns the Power on again without using an App or the Webinterface)

Cheers

This feature will be included in the next release. The operation will be based on the configuration at "Settings -> Advanced Media Server Settings -> Player -> Audio -> Power On Resume" (does not work with current release).

It's important to take care of WAF ;-).

it gets worse. it has deleted my Windows 7 install and reverted to the factory Windows Vista! I lost my Windows 7 CD when i moved houses so I'm stuck with vista. My fan has gone berserk and is spinning out of control. it is frozen on a command line window so I can't check is out has deleted all my files.

print this post and stick it in your wall for when you are having a bad day

Are you sure you didn't mess up with the BIOS boot options?
It really is not possible that USB boot could have caused this.

BTW. I have got feedback that unetbootin has problems with some USB flash drives so that they are not bootable. And they have told me that Rufus has worked better in such cases.

After wrestling with the standard music server installations, VortexBox, MPD, VoyageMPD, DIY with LMS, etc. I find this to be the best all around solution.
Though I would do some things differently, ie backup and restore, I can deal with the work-arounds. Thanks for a wonderful product and I look forward to future updates. I still don't see a "donate" icon on the website.
Oh, it's installed in a Foxconn r10-i4000 with 2G of RAM and two 500Gb drives. Someday I'll go fanless but I'm good with this for now.

Maybe some kind of questions for the first configuration will be usefull.

Like: 1. The name of the device, 2. only player, player and server, 3. Choose the soundcard you want to use, and, so on.
Similar to first configuration of the Squeezebox.

It can be helpful, for people who are not computer geeks :)

Also the possibilty of turning off display after X ? minutes would be good, if somebody is using notebook instead of headless pc.

Maybe some kind of questions for the first configuration will be usefull.

Like: 1. The name of the device, 2. only player, player and server, 3. Choose the soundcard you want to use, and, so on.
Similar to first configuration of the Squeezebox.

It can be helpful, for people who are not computer geeks :)

Also the possibilty of turning off display after X ? minutes would be good, if somebody is using notebook instead of headless pc.

Thanks. I'll consider them later.

Hi Kipeta,

I sorted the VirtualBox quirk. Daphile CD ISO will not boot if you try to use it on a pre-existing VM that already has another OS on it. After a bit of house keeping I was able to do some testing.

I wanted to stick with VirtualBox as the new "Nat Networking" options allows easier testing if you are not running DHCP on your host. One guest VM for Daphile and a second guest VM for the OS of your choice with a web browser. With "Nat Networking" the two VMs or on the same virtual net which has a DHCP and both can access the Internet via the host.

Before I offer any feedback, should I expect CD ripping to work if Daphile is run in a VM?

In my quick test the CD on the VM optical drive is recognised with the correct album art and track list. The ripping process appears to start but dies after track one is ripped to the VM hard drive. In fact, track one is on the drive but is corrupt.

This is a fragment of the rip log:

Code:
Ripping from sector       0 (track  1 [0:00.00])
          to sector   31244 (track  1 [6:56.44])

outputting to /dev/shm/cdrip_tmp.3tPi/track1.wav

Done.

Sun Jan 12 18:13:50 UTC 2014: Track 2 failed.

cdparanoia -d /dev/sr0 -v -e -Z --log-debug=cdparanoia.2.log 2 /dev/shm/cdrip_tmp.PfTr/track2.wav 
  cdparanoia III release 10.2 (September 11, 2008)

Using cdda library version: 10.2
  Using paranoia library version: 10.2
  Checking /dev/sr0 for cdrom...
      Testing /dev/sr0 for SCSI/MMC interface
          SG_IO device: /dev/sr0
          Drive is neither a CDROM nor a WORM device

Testing /dev/sr0 for cooked ioctl() interface
          /dev/sr0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
Sun Jan 12 18:13:51 UTC 2014: Ripping failed because the system could not read the disc.
Sun Jan 12 18:13:51 UTC 2014: Possible reasons: disc ejected, disc or drive failure, USB CD drive power shortage, ...
Sun Jan 12 18:13:53 UTC 2014: Track 1 was encoded successfully.
Sun Jan 12 18:13:53 UTC 2014: Track 1 was tagged successfully.

Hi Jrling!
I am using Logitech Squeezebox and like it. It is free too so you could give it a test.
I installed also the Logitech Squeezebox Controller, but it needs internet connection to login to the Squeezbox account. There are 2 problems:
- I haven't got internet connection when I use the Daphile. Only the Daphile wifi
- I haven't got Squeezbox account.
Tyimo

Last edited:
Hi Jrling!

I installed also the Logitech Squeezebox Controller, but it needs internet connection to login to the Squeezbox account. There are 2 problems:
- I haven't got internet connection when I use the Daphile. Only the Daphile wifi
- I haven't got Squeezbox account.
Tyimo

I don't have a squeezebox account and use Daphile. I control Daphile with Orange Squeeze. It ask for Squeezebox account info but I ignore it and go straight to Daphile. I would think you could do the same with Squeezebox Controller.

BTW, the other day a fellow diy fourmite came over to see Daphile. He brought a small USB DAC which we plugged into my old laptop running Daphile. Daphile immediately recognized his DAC. I connected this 2nd DAC to a 2nd amp and speakers. We had Daphile playing two different tracks on two different systems at the same time. (1 laptop, 2 DACs, 2 amps/speakers) I'm impressed.

Cheers, Mack