Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

And how do you think the noise can get conducted over an optical connection (that is galvanically isolated from any noise)?

Fortunately they are open source, so you are free to fix them.

that's the point! i was extremely surprised!

and i don't polute linux+computer audio=crap! (and that's concerns daphile)
and all these are squeezebox emulators!!! into very very Noisy(currently cheap pc's) it doesn't Worth!

daphile is a very nice interface. THAT'S ALL!

Logitech media server is the best server software to date!

after trying all os in different pc's

i'm using a squeezebox touch as a server now! (still Nothing exists better than this little THING)
with a 2to WD elements (no external power)
all files are single wav+cue
buyed for 120$

Last edited:
that's the point! i was extremely surprised!

Tell us the details of your linux/windows comparison. Was it on the same hardware, with optical toslink? And can we trust your details? I am convinced the whole thing was very very different and you are not giving exact information. The story will end up "oh maybe it was not toslink" and "maybe the windows computer was a different machine". It will end up you actually had a ground loop on your linux setup because that shows exactly the symptoms you are talking about...

Tell us the details of your linux/windows comparison. Was it on the same hardware, with optical toslink? And can we trust your details? I am convinced the whole thing was very very different and you are not giving exact information. The story will end up "oh maybe it was not toslink" and "maybe the windows computer was a different machine". It will end up you actually had a ground loop on your linux setup because that shows exactly the symptoms you are talking about...

obviously! same hardware

i know daphile since first release and was very seducted ba this option but...
i have an extremely natural sounding dac (audio note tube dac 3)
and what im looking about a music server is also natural sounding!
to me daphile is not audiophile!
to get acceptable sound you must play always directly from RAM! (but is a PITA)
i think linux based have a lot of jitter
and not very envolving sound
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf6zDVhBFsp1yD9ceL6Qndg
make your own tests!

Last edited:
I actually know how the audio hardware works, I have coded a few soundcard drivers. Linux uses the hardware in exactly the same way as windows do. What you are hearing is not jitter but a ground loop. It will be audible in all OSes since it has nothing to do with software. FIx your setup first (get rid of the ground loops).

BTW I do not see any optical digital input on audio note tube dac 3 http://www.ankaudiokits.com/_images/dac21_c_Labelled001.jpg . Here comes the first "Oh maybe not"...

i know daphile since first release and was very seducted ba this option but...
i have an extremely natural sounding dac (audio note tube dac 3)
and what im looking about a music server is also natural sounding!
to me daphile is not audiophile!
to get acceptable sound you must play always directly from RAM! (but is a PITA)
i think linux based have a lot of jitter

I guess your "natural sounding" DAC is very, very sensitive to jitter and noise, but I have to disagree with both your point about having to play directly from RAM (and the output driver plays from RAM in any case), and about the amount of jitter. All the measurements I have seen show that linux has a much lower latency than, for example, windows.

Guys, just to clarify - audio latency has nothing to do with jitter, it is just the delay it takes for the samples to reach the soundcard's/USB controller's DMA buffer.

Audio clocks are generated by hardware, absolutely independent of the software. The hardware clock could theoretically be influenced by noise on power supplies, I have yet to see a measurement of that. Nevertheless how could windows produce less noise on supply lines than linux if it uses the same hardware in the same manner?

I actually know how the audio hardware works, I have coded a few soundcard drivers. Linux uses the hardware in exactly the same way as windows do. What you are hearing is not jitter but a ground loop. It will be audible in all OSes since it has nothing to do with software. FIx your setup first (get rid of the ground loops).

BTW I do not see any optical digital input on audio note tube dac 3 http://www.ankaudiokits.com/_images/dac21_c_Labelled001.jpg . Here comes the first "Oh maybe not"...

is not a kit!

is a AN DAC 3 from 1996

i've reswitched from daphile/other os just now

so, i have a ground loop in daphile but not in the other os!!!!
(it seems you are just a linux fan!)

JUST TEST BY YOURSELF! stop the player and crank up volume a bit and play with the interface!
those noises will be in the usb aswell (but i can't try)

Last edited:
I guess your "natural sounding" DAC is very, very sensitive to jitter and noise, but I have to disagree with both your point about having to play directly from RAM (and the output driver plays from RAM in any case), and about the amount of jitter. All the measurements I have seen show that linux has a much lower latency than, for example, windows.

latency is not a problem if is not too high and Nothing do peaks!

is a AN DAC 3 from 1996

OK that one has a TOSLINK.

JUST TEST BY YOURSELF! stop the player and crank up volume a bit and play with the interface!
those noises will be in the usb aswell (but i can't try)

Do you think I have never tried that? Many times, believe me. Always a ground loop was the culprit. For some USB the culprit was noise on power supply from the PC to the soundcard.

And if your setup is noisy, it will be noisy in any OS. There is no way a software driver can fix that hardware problem.

you are coding drivers, and you seem to be an expert!

MAN, the biggest manufacturer of soundcard has/have problems with drivers too..linux or other os! actually none of my computer do not have some quirks with audio!

Last edited:
OK that one has a TOSLINK.

Do you think I have never tried that? Many times, believe me. Always a ground loop was the culprit. For some USB the culprit was noise on power supply from the PC to the soundcard.

And if your setup is noisy, it will be noisy in any OS. There is no way a software driver can fix that hardware problem.

open your mind! and don't stay with your fixed idea!
I CAN'T HEAR THOSE NOISE WITH WINDOWS!
you get it this time?

you are conding drivers, and you seem to be an expert!

I am no expert, but unlike you I know how the chain actually works on the hardware level. Exactly same in windows and linux.

MAN the biggest manufacturer of soundcard has/have problems with drivers too..linux or other os! actually none of my computer do not have some quirks with audio!

A quirk is not a clock jitter or hearing your sata communication. Show me a single case of such problem in the driver - be it windows or linux, does not matter. I do not care about general claims - present specific concrete points.

then if ist not crap drivers is crap kernel

??? How does kernel differ from drivers which they are part of? In what way is software able to influence the jitter of clock of the Intel HDA controller intgrated in your south bridge which reads samples from RAM via DMA? The clock is either directly from crystal, or generated from some common master clock via PLL. All of that is hardware.