DAC: TDA1541 and TDA1543 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
MGH said:

I guess the question one has to ask is, can anyone - I mean anyone - actually hear THD of 0.05%, let alone know what it sounds like? I know of no one who can claim that he can. Raikkonen if you are convinced you can hear this, you should be hanging upside down in a dark cave.

THD is not THD. A plain THD number is just quantity.
It does not tell anything about the quality.

Low order harmonics are not easy to detect.
A single tone with K2 or K3 sounds just a little lighter or brighter.

High order harmonics are different, a single tone with one high order harmonic really sounds like two different tones.
One can hear very small amounts of high order harmonics.

Also the low level distortion is most important.

When signal level goes down, the THD goes up.

Some people say that it is not important because a -50dB harmonic in a -60dB signal is unhearable.
That it is not true, the harmonic is not hidden under the signal like it could be hidden under noise.
It is a part of it and added to the signal level and can be heard.
Our ears do FFT.

poobah said:
That appears to be very credible text phn... the needle on my BSometer did not even twitch.

In earlier pages he is a bit optimistic regarding the possible increases in resolution... only in so far as we don't really know the true accuracy of the original data stream. But, nothing he says is wrong... of what I read.

By the way, I'm not fighting with you.

:)

Fighting is good, if there's a point to it. If we came here to agree the forum would fill no purpose. Personally I would know very little without it.

My problem with the piece is how easily the author discard the ringing phenomenon. He may very well be right. But I get the impression he reason that ringing is inevitable, so just forget about it. The whole idea with non-os is to get away from those things. If the latter is right or wrong is not for me to decide.

Well phn,

He doesn't dismiss ringing or tolerate it as unavoidable... rather he accepts it because it is a proper part of the process.

Really ringing is not the right word for it either. It appears to be "ringing", but it's not. I wish I could post spreadsheets here, it would be much easier to explain.

:(

I have seen an ALLEGED capture of this "ringing." But even if it is a genuine capture, I wouldn't take it at face value. First of all, I don't have the competence to read a scope. Second, it may just be a reach from the non-os crowd in order to justify non-os.

Well, back. ;) I have problems with accepting as part of the process. The full-range crowd certainly doesn't accept x-overs as part of the process. FR in this case would be non-os, sort of.

I'm not trying to force the issue here. I simply have nothing to stand on if "ringing" is not a factor. I have even less reason to force the issue than that. I simply don't care. I don't mean that in an arrogant or dismissive manner. I mean that I have no interests involved. I use a PlayStation for crying out loud. It has a 32-bit filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.