DAC Project D1 Circuit available?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lithium Tantalates

No problem , I'll just turn it over to Ms. T'Pol in purchasing.

Thanks

H.H.

Attachments

• t'pol.jpg
    t'pol.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,976
Joined 2002
Paid Member
VCO

Fujitsu made the VCO. This has unfortunately been discontinued by them (new types). The last batch came from a broker. For a single dedicated frequency a crystal VCO will work. The Lithium tantalates have better stability and pullability though.

This is also not the 96K 24 bit version we last made.

Wayne

<a href="http://edevice.fujitsu.com/fmd/en/products/a_vco/">Fujitsu LiTa<sub>3</sub> VCO's.</a>

First Saw LiTa<sub>3</sub> VCO used in the Stax Dac talent, it used a V-12M288.
Dac Talent BD page <a href="http://www.hoops.ne.jp/~asd123asd/dac-tb.htm">here</a> with a link to the schematic at the bottom.

Regards
James

Nelson,

In the owners manual you say that you've tested it extensively against the most highly regarded D/A products available, and didn't stop until the circuit sounded better than anything elso on the market.

So what did you compare it with and could you describe the differences ?

Xcel

Just curiousity, Mozfet....Because some people are more easily satisfied then others. By the way, in a competitive marketplace one can expect questions like these. And Nelson isn't afraid of a little competition otherwise he wouldn't have made such a claim regarding this point in the manual.

Xcel

Nelson/Wayne,

Thanks for sharing the schematic. A few questions:

1. There is no gate resistors on Q2 and Q5. You usually put them on all mosfets. No oscillation here?

2. You guys seem to be big fans of current sourcing. None of the mosfets are current sourced, just 1.5K and 3.3K resistors. Sound worse with current sources?

3. How about cascoding Q3 and Q6? Overkill?

Thanks, if you answer or not.

Ric Schultz

output stage

I built the output stage and appended
it to my small dac (a Crystal cs4390).
Had to use 2k2 resistors to make current out of
the dac's voltage output.
It sounds very promising, but 4 x 50 euros for the BB DACs
(you could probably use BB's 1704, they should be even better?)
are too much just for experimentation...

- How do I connect unsymmetrical output?
The manual says 150 ohms impedance for unsymmetrical. So I would just connect positive
output and ground, and the negative half of the
circuit would be completely unnecessary?

martin

Nelson:
Thanks for answering Excel's question. Interesting.....

Do you guys at Passlabs really have as much fun (we know you work hard, too) as it seems in your postings and manuals? What's a typical day like for you or Wayne?

mlloyd1
(who obviously dreams about doing fun stuff again while dodging axes in telecomm)

Hi,

does anybody know, where to buy (and get information)
an AT/T optical receiver?

I plan to do a diy project similar to the D1.
The DAC will be a PCM1704.
The digital filter a DF1704.
The receiver a CS8415.
I found a source where to buy fujitsu VCOs.
(Unfortunately You need two of them to work with
44.1 an 48 / 96 kHz).

Any comments / recommendations?

Zelter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.