DAC Mod Suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Picture

Hi Bas,
To avoid all confusion picture is attached.:)
As a hint the direct coupling of the AD8561 to the CS8412 gave a huge improvment.........Jocko knew it all along:xeye:

Attachments

• wildmonkeysects.gif
    wildmonkeysects.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 673
Re: Simple DAC better?

Elso Kwak said:

Hi Peter,
Any clue why the "simple" DAC is better?
I am glad doing one mod at a time......

:confused:

I'm as confused as you are. The "simple" DAC was actually the first non oversampling DCA that I've built. It sounded fine in the beginning to me, but I wanted more. So I've built the more elaborate one, and adding reclocking was an upgrade, so after I installed it, I felt it sounded better to me. I was using that "better" DAC for almost a year and was happy with it. Then I started experimenting with active stages (from Rudolf), going I2S direct, battery supplies and synchronous reclocking.

In the meantime I also switched from inverting amps to non inverting (GC amps, that is).

Just when I thought that my modded Marantz CD-94 was all I could be getting from my current digital setup, just for a fun of it (or actually, because I found buyer for my "simple" DAC) I tried it out by connecting to the CD-Pro.

Initially, before warming it up, it sounded like nothing special, but when I checked it out after few hours, I was pleasantly surprised. It presented the music with some sort of harmony that other setups simply didn't. The "small" DAC was very natural and coherent and let me enjoy music actually more than the more elaborate setups.

I am still puzzled by that, but plan to investigate it further. I did also try 8V PS (with output resistors suggested by Fedde) and while this DAC sounds different than the one with 5V supply, it may be also appealing.

The difference in sound between 5V and 8V supplies is very similar to the difference between inverting and non-inverting GC amps. Those who tried both, will know what I mean;)

The "small" DAC is definitely better than the bigger one. It is almost on level with modded Marantz. The Marantz has more refinement and detail, but I'm still not completely sure if it sounds as natuaral as the "simple" one.

Flappytango said:
Thanks guys,

i will start with the monkeyfilter for now.

i read where some guy said replacing the 8412 with cs8414 would give improvements, Anybody believe this? they seem to spec out the same except for kHz.

cheers

do not spend money on 8414 once you have a 8412, but spend it on other upgrades - much more effective

As far as I know the 14 is a shrink of the 12

Ciao

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.