• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DAC ES9038 PRO GR 2

HQ-AUDIO ANNOUNCES 10 YEARS
OF ESTABLISHMENT
PHP:

On the 10th anniversary of Hq-Audio,
Quang Hao has a special promotion for members with Hq9038 Tube DAC.

A- The program contents are as follows:
1. Form of promotion:
30% discount and free shipping for
2. Products: Hq9038 Tube Dac
3. Program: diyaudio members
4. Promotion period: From 16/1/2018 to 16/2/2018

HQ9038 Tube Dac.

Register now!

Hi to All. It is not often that write a review for one of the kit I build. It is not really my job, and since all of us have different taste, perception, system configuration, names it, it is almost impossible to get a clear picture from a review. Also I want to point out that I have no association with Quanghao and/or HQ Audio. However I built some of his kit in the past such as the AD1865 with 6H30 Tube output DAC or the ES9018 DAC and they were always first quality, and I liked them.

I completed the ESS9038DAC with Pure Tube IV and HV power supply months back and I was finally able to hear it into a great system into a dedicated listening room at my friend house. His system uses Wilson Audio Speakers, Borbely Milenium monoblock amplifiers, and a very customized tube preamplifier. Cables and power cords are of excellent quality from Furutech, Cardas, Siltech, etc…We compared this dac to various dac we built over the years, and his current reference dac. A MAC Mini with JRiver music server was used as source, using the DAC usb Amanero interface.
To resume the new HQ Audio ESS9038PRO Dac was a revelation and we were completely in love with it. Don’t know if it is the new ESS9038 chips and/or the combination of the very nice Tube IV section, but It was miles ahead of the other dac we compared it to. Every aspect of the sound was better, Huge and airy soundstage, crystal clear highs, mids to die for, gorgeous bass, great instrument separation. We could hear details into the music that seem obscure by the previous dac. Music was alive, just right.

Final verdict: this dac will be my reference from now on. I already planned to have it modified to add balanced outputs. My own Pure IV stage has only the SE outputs, not like the one offered on the GB3 that already has both BLA and SE output. I also added K&K audio CCS to replace the tube anode 33K resistors. I still have to compare the dac with these new CCS since our original listening was done with the original 33K passive resistors.

Some mentioned the high cost of this kit, but keep in mind that all PCB come already assembled and tested with good quality parts, PCB are of first quality, and that the kit included everything to make it work, including a nice looking enclosure. You’ll have to spend thousands more to get a complete, ready to roll, superb dac. All in all it is I think it is a fair price.

Now my friend wants one to. That’s the cost of listening to such great dac.

Take note that this dac kit is only for the 220/240V parts of the world. Since I’m in North America I had to make extensive modifications to make it work on 120V using custom power transformers PCB and I had to replace/mod the controller PCB to accept 120Vac. The conversion can be done, but it is for expert only!

Great kit, very recommended to anyone that wants the latest ESS9038PRO dac.

Last edited:
I took a bait at the first post unknowing that this thread was meant to European not for American and looking all the post, 98 % of peopple here are from Europe and Asia, I was so stupid, but that first post does not said this Dac is not for American and also does not say if you try to build it you have to do intensive modification and to do those modifications you have to be an expert, that means I'm F*****k up because I bought this kit and Am not an expert by any means?

I took a bait at the first post unknowing that this thread was meant to European not for American and looking all the post, 98 % of peopple here are from Europe and Asia, I was so stupid, but that first post does not said this Dac is not for American and also does not say if you try to build it you have to do intensive modification and to do those modifications you have to be an expert, that means I'm F*****k up because I bought this kit and Am not an expert by any means?

ok, i try to update 115 v for USA, thanks
quanghao