DAC blind test: NO audible difference whatsoever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are subtle ways in which most of these analogies fail. I don't see how anyone could argue about performance properties of cars, cameras, telescopes, etc. though they all share a male dominated audience. Furthermore you will have a hard time finding expensive upgrades that don't have an easily observable (to most people without impaired senses) improvement. Watches are too much a fashion accessory.

Wine and food are too subjective, I for one have grown to dislike highly marbled grain fed meat which is prized by top restaurant in favor of 100% grass fed as well as being partial to many Asian "delicacies" that most non-Asians shun.

BTW it is not hard to find a highly trained MW (Master of Wine) that can identify wines blind individually with great accuracy, no ABX needed. This is no parlor trick, where is that audio equivalent? One could argue that there is no auxiliary equipment, though Reidel has made a fortune claiming otherwise so there are exceptions everywhere I suppose.

You partially quoted what I posted - it wasn't an analogy
"So what is the actual crux of the matter? That people are perhaps wasting money on things you don't approve of? Do you have any non-audio related examples of such ostentatiousness? Do you similar post your disapproval on car forums, watch forums, wine forums, etc. to 'save these people' ?​

Which processor/DSP didn't add jitter/is 100 percent jitter free after measurement?

Yes, Guho you are fundamentally mis-understanding my comment. I can run a file through a re-sampling and anti-imaging algorithm on my computer rather than a DSP, possibly not real time but I can save the result and play it later.

The DSP runs an algorithm on data and produces data, there are no hidden variables. You can't add jitter to data by reading it out and putting it back into memory. I'm sorry I don't have to refute claims that audio at its highest level needs to revise the basic laws of physics.

BTW I realize that to get the exact bits on both I would have to emulate the register and accumulator sizes on the DSP (the CPU would do everything in 64 bit double precision).

I didn't say you made the analogy, it's made here all the time by many sort of like the "forum ABX" as some accepted standard.
Really? When you quote (or partially quote a post) in your reply, common sense says that you are replying to the quoted text?
Your approach seems odd to me but can you desist from doing this with my posts in future, please - saves me the effort of having to point out your reply has nothing to do with my partially quoted text?

Yes, Guho you are fundamentally mis-understanding my comment. I can run a file through a re-sampling and anti-imaging algorithm on my computer rather than a DSP, possibly not real time but I can save the result and play it later.

The DSP runs an algorithm on data and produces data, there are no hidden variables. You can't add jitter to data by reading it out and putting it back into memory. I'm sorry I don't have to refute claims that audio at its highest level needs to revise the basic laws of physics.

BTW I realize that to get the exact bits on both I would have to emulate the register and accumulator sizes on the DSP (the CPU would do everything in 64 bit double precision).

Then we indeed misunderstood each other. Since the start of this subject I was talking about the nanoDigi miniDSP. This PCB/DSP adds jitter/noise etc.; that was my point; nothing more nothing less. I didn't mean the digital processing technique itself of course, I meant the PCB with all its components and datalines; those add the jitter. I hope that it's clear now.

Yes, I have been asked several times by the mods to trim quotes as I assume others have been. There is always the little button to go to the original. Why the agitation, analogy, comparison, whatever, audio holds a different place among the somewhat male dominated hobbies.

No agitation here - it's just pretty confusing when you quote my post text & then reply to something completely different that I didn't say!!

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Which processor/DSP didn't add jitter/is 100 percent jitter free after measurement? Name one, every DSP adds jitter when measured. Every isolator chip adds ps jitter also, there is not a single isolator in the world that's jitter free, even the best isolator (NVE) adds 100ps jitter.

@TNT; If you really think that the sound quality isn't affected by jitter then that's your opinion and your judgement, you're free to have such opinion. But measurements and are never wrong.

Mind your clock architecture.

//

No agitation here - it's just pretty confusing when you quote my post text & then reply to something completely different that I didn't say!!

I apologize if you think I tried to edit your comment to change its meaning, was anyone else totally confused? I said I routinely trim quotes to help keep the threads clean. Hobbies/interests that involve the opportunity for ostentatious spending are not all created equal, audio is special in the amount of unverifiable/fraudulent claims made. This includes tweaks that claim to also make medical devices "work better". I have no tolerance for quack medicine and if you do we have nothing more to discuss, period.

I apologize if you think I tried to edit your comment to change its meaning, was anyone else totally confused? I said I routinely trim quotes to help keep the threads clean. Hobbies/interests that involve the opportunity for ostentatious spending are not all created equal, audio is special in the amount of unverifiable/fraudulent claims made. This includes tweaks that claim to also make medical devices "work better". I have no tolerance for quack medicine and if you do we have nothing more to discuss, period.

Thanks for the apology

I have even less tolerance for quack science as seen here so I guess we are on the same page!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.