DAC and crossover with SOEKRIS boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello i need support,help and experiences from that great forum here.

My plan to replace my crossover and dac in my active speakers.The speaker have a digital audio input only and a DSP board that split the audio in four ways and each way have his own DAC.Then each way have his own amplifier(s) to drive in summary 6 bass- and one mid- and High-chassis.

Iam retired now since two years and want to that for a hobby as there is no really not as the speakers sound fantastic.
My plan is to replace (maybe in two steps) to replace the whole internal current DSP board.The first step would be the 4x D/A converters and then the depending crossovers, but not a must for HW, just the steps to work.
My intention is to use the Soekris boards that have the R2R technic, the boards to choose are the DAM 1021, 1121 or 1941.
There are some projects are done for a D/A convertering and impulse optimization, but i dont found some for crossovers. Beside all work and problems that i have to solve in the next time, that basic questions come up:
1) Programming the filter for the D/A optimization and the crossover have to be done. So my question is, if there enough „space/memory/CPU power“ on the Soekris boards ? When the 4x times board 1941 maybe get overhelmed with tasks, my thought is then to use 2x two channel bords to distribute the necessary space/power for all the filter.
2)Does anybody have made or current working on a similar projects and/or have infos or recommanditions for all of that or to a specific detail ?
Every help, tipp,info,recommandation,support and finished project to learn from that will help me.

Thanks Robert

It doesn't seem anyone has tried using 4 dam boards for an active system. I bought 4 dam boards to do this when they first came out after being told this was doable. Now it seems there may, or may not be, audible synch issues with using the original 1021 dam. So, if you decide to do this, make sure you get the model that allows synching between the boards.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You don't need sync. 2 "free hanging" 1121 playing stereo sound fantastic. The only thing you don't get in your case is time-alignment adjustment per channel. I would not trust 4 separate USB connection however - I would use s/pdif and Toslink actually. Build yourself an active 1in-4out toslink splitter. Add IIR filters.

Good luck!

//

Thanks cab for that very important information.
How finished your project,good ,bad, delayed and what is it ?

Thanks Robert

I haven't moved forward with it. I decided to wait until there is actual first hand accounts of someone doing this before I spend any more time and money on this.

To be honest, I have been put off, to put it mildly, with the way this product was originally marketed, in light of the issues that have come to the surface after purchase.

You don't need sync. 2 "free hanging" 1121 playing stereo sound fantastic. The only thing you don't get in your case is time-alignment adjustment per channel. I would not trust 4 separate USB connection however - I would use s/pdif and Toslink actually. Build yourself an active 1in-4out toslink splitter. Add IIR filters.

Good luck!

//

LOL, Buy this top of the line luxury car...oh, you don't need air conditioning in this car, it drives just fantastic without it- just drive only during winter, or roll your windows down, or you can always install your own air conditioning unit.

"good luck" indeed...

The designer never said that it wouldn't work properly with USB input and that we had to build an active 1 in 4 out toslink splitter. Yet another thing to be concerned about with an active 4 way system with this "reference dac"....Ugh....

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe it works with USB. I have only tried with toslink - so I cant give any feedback on USB. I don't use USB because I think it is an inferior interface for the application (in general). You may have other opinion.

And my good luck wan't sarcastic - it was sincere.

//

Thanks for all inputs and infos.
No i don't want and have USB inputs.The digital audio input is AES level and impedance.
Sync is an issue, how big/iumportant i don't know.
Use the 1941 board it shouldn't, as its a 4 way board what should be synchronized from the design..
My concern is the amount of programm/memory space and horsepower for the CPU is necessary for the filtering of impulse optimization and crossovers.

And reading after the comments from all of you, i get an impression that the data are excellent but they are not true ?
Is that the correct impression what i maybe read wrong between the lines ?
Does nobody have built a crossover ?

Sorry about my bad english.
Reading the product description on the soakers homepage it say : " Input is USB, I2S, SPDIF BNC, RCA, XLR and Toslink. Output is directly from the Resistor Networks, the dam1941 have four full Sign Magnitude R-2R networks for fully balanced operation, ....
So its a little misleading when i read that fast.
So you say, its a two-not a 4way- as its balanced ?
Then of coarse i have to use two 1941 boards.
I guess i have t o go over the schematics and have(hopefully) to find more about possible sync issues.
Thanks robert

If you want an active 4 way system, you will need 4 boards.
Why you think so ?
Dam 1941 has two symetrica/balanced outputs, so for 4 channel i need „only“ two boards. The definition of channel is not clear even by different professional manufacturs, as one digital stream carries two channels as a standard.But mainly for historic technical reasons there was one physical connectors and that stream carries only one channel INFORMATION as each „channel“ have the limitation of the sampling rate(historical reason). Then that two channel information with e.g. 48kHz get combined in the receiver as one 96kHz stream.
But even today for the Trinnov Amethyst can receive a standard two channel stream on his inputs, BUt then only use one.So every single channel have one physical connector, what is at least for me not usual as that is usual with anogue signals.
Hopefully i do not generate confusion here now with my „explaination“.
But coming back to my last questions, its hard to find somebody who have experiences with crossovers and even more with impuls optimisation to ?
And if the boards are working refer to their spec is also not clear ?
Maybe i have to find it out by myself and have to risk some money ?

4 way speakers X 2 speakers for stereo = 8 channels

Each 1941 or 1921 can do 1 or 2 channels (depends on if you want balanced or unbalanced output). So you would need 4 to 8 boards. All the digital inputs into both modules are 2 channel stereo.
Sorry no, one board have two balanced outputs, so two boards for one 4way speaker , and four boards for two speakers.
Understood, I will now wait maybe i have luck and more will come.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry no, one board have two balanced outputs, so two boards for one 4way speaker , and four boards for two speakers.
Understood, I will now wait maybe i have luck and more will come.

No, a dam1941 have only two channels, but they're balanced, meaning each channels have a positive and negative output.

Also, the USB input is stereo only, complicating using multiple board with USB interface. I strongly recommend dac1121 or maybe dam1021 if you want to do crossover. And please note that although the dam1021/dam1121/dam19x1 have IIR filter sections that can do the filtering, there are no user friendly way of using them. The best is a dsp based crossover with a user interface, like a minidsp....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.