DAC alive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NO.
I don't think so. When the soundstage opens in front of you in height , width , depht and you localize the instruments expecially in live performances , the precision of the orchestral positions are, again , close to you that is not distorsion.It is the DAC that has better resolution at its imputs .

I have not prejudices regarding soundcards but I am not interested in a computer (sampling) measure sistem.

I am not interested in a computer (sampling) measure sistem.

Its not a sampling system to do recording but to run some numerical analysis on the data. Its not better and not worse than a standalone Analyzer with the same sampling rate as your soundcard. Its is cheap and gives very good measurements. And i suspect other reasons behind the fact many people seems to dislike measureing and post what they measured.

For comparison: same measurement setup and CD670 (4FS TDA1541)

Attachments

• cd670.gif
    cd670.gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 492
That's fine . I will try the soundcard ASAP.If it is that cheap.:)
I think distorsions with dacs ( beside theyr sound signature) are a great matter of noise and over all the quality of the oscillator in the CDP and close to the DAC. Try a Tentlabs clock and you will see yourself , and ear of course.
Over measures it is the pleasure to listen a CD that is close (I repeat myself) to a warm tape regardless of bits/sampling frequencies etc.In this last regard the recloker make a good job.At least for that fiew seconds when the music takes you away.

Re: pulse transformer for spdif

till said:
pulse transformer for spdif

would a transformer from an old DSL splitter work for spdif? or from ethernet components?

Bricolo said:
So even with the transformer on the spdif signal, you can't lift the DAC's ground?

It is not earthed, is it?

Till,

Check, out this input it's work well fine, and cap be optimizes even better. I get you away from connecting grounds. OF course, the player needs to have a transformer also to be optimum.

I guess the out of production PS audio CD transport image was removed. This product has not been out of production a long time and should have not been removed.

Attachments

• spdif input basic.jpg
    spdif input basic.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 510
Soundcard is "Creative SB live!" what was the cheapest PCI soundcard they had when i got it. Those SNR numbers are very strange to me, i dont understand what causes them. Its very sensitive to the satellite tuner card in the PC. And the numbers is really bad compared to datasheet numbers. I will see if it changes when i make shielding and groundplane when i have material for this.

till said:
Soundcard is "Creative SB live!" what was the cheapest PCI soundcard they had when i got it. Those SNR numbers are very strange to me, i dont understand what causes them. Its very sensitive to the satellite tuner card in the PC. And the numbers is really bad compared to datasheet numbers. I will see if it changes when i make shielding and groundplane when i have material for this.

Your right it pick up noise from the PC. Also, I don't believe their specification, and I have seen magzines dispute Creative Labs spec's.

High End SOUND CARDS
http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=5&page=1

till said:

can you show me how is the noisefloor on the line input? (nothing on the line in jack, recording set to line in and 100%)

Here's mine, with a big averaging (300). Not that bad IMO

Till, also note that the SB Live is HEAVILLY optimised for 48kHz, and the internal 44.1->48 sample rate conversion isn't very good. If you set spectralab to work in 48kHz the results will be better.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 420
till said:
this is nothing connected and big averaging,

but i cannot set 48kHz it only wants up to 44100. Maybe older version or i need new driver etc.

even in 44.1 your Live has a better snr (5dB) than mine ;) except those peaks. But I don't know what causes them

in 44.1, mine is a lot worse

try to update your drivers, if you want to test something better use those
http://www.kxproject.com/

but they are much different too

I'm using spectralab 4.32.17 30day trial

I'm comparing those two measurements and I don't see any difference here. Do I miss something?
The Philips does have 0,0018% points THD less and 2,374 dB more SNR.

SNR maybe because of the metal case?

I don´t say there is much difference, i only post the measurement data to have some references to the AD1865 DAC with same measure setup. The data is reproduceable, i measured more than once. The THD figure is very stable dependend on the DAC and I/V used. The SNR seems to be more sensitive to noise from computer and surrounding. With more affords i measured also better SNRs with the CD PRO 2.

Bernhard, what do you expect with the -60dB? as you see SNR is not very high, i would need a more sensitive soundcard input or i need to put a preamp between.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.