DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

The schematic I've seen shows the Hex inverter driving three LEDs, providing a static signal driving unused inputs, and generating the reset pulse.

Please explain how changing the hex inverter made a "noticable improvement".

no idea. i'm just passing away information

maybe you should give them a try and see for yourself. since this mod costs almost nothing

i quoted the conversation between me and this guy, who recommended the inverter mod

Regarding 74vhc14, is the distributor of the clock signal DacMagic. Before installing the Flea 5volts put another clock in and burned 74. The code "V" 74 "V" hc indicates an integrated low noise. Currently installed the 74HC14 is not low noise but it works.

is the ak4396 chip getting the clock signal from 74VHC04M as well in this module?

Last edited:
The kit is finished.

It works perfectly! Voltages are all in +/- 0.02V tolerance. I used two separate transformers.

Compared to the internal DAC of my Yamaha DSP-A1 (12 years old), and the new kit, the difference is noticeable. The original Yamaha DAC is very "harsh" sounding, the new kit with the NE5532 as an op-amp is much better. Much "warmer".

Maybe I should change it to and OPA627 or OPA2132?

Or just leave it.

idjoel2000 very good. IF the clock is buffered by the 74HC/VHC inverter, then there is the possibility of improving the SQ as jitter can be noise related.

In this case I agree it might be worth changing.

The schematic I saw did not buffer the clock with it, so it would make no difference in that version.

The kit is finished.

It works perfectly! Voltages are all in +/- 0.02V tolerance. I used two separate transformers.

Compared to the internal DAC of my Yamaha DSP-A1 (12 years old), and the new kit, the difference is noticeable. The original Yamaha DAC is very "harsh" sounding, the new kit with the NE5532 as an op-amp is much better. Much "warmer".

Or just leave it.

try the 627, many people like them. but it comes in an expense as well, the price is quite steep
idjoel2000 very good. IF the clock is buffered by the 74HC/VHC inverter, then there is the possibility of improving the SQ as jitter can be noise related.

In this case I agree it might be worth changing.

The schematic I saw did not buffer the clock with it, so it would make no difference in that version.

ahha.. it would not be worth the effort then :)

Last edited:

Or just leave it.

OPA827, much cheaper than OPA627 and better sounding, IMHO.

ahha.. it would not be worth the effort then :)

No, what TheGimp wrote is that in MINI2496 changing that component has no effect on audio...

On the PCB there's no clock at all to buffer...

OPA627: 4$ on e-bay, including soldered on an adapter for SIL insertion.
OPA827 +/- 8$ but you need to solder the SMD yourself to an adapter

For comparison:

Farnell:
OPA627: € 32,50
OPA827: € 15,00 (also, only in SMD possible)

RS components:
OPA627: € 28,69 (in SMD)
OPA827: € 7,91 (in SMD)

Mouser:
OPE627: € 14,81 (SIL)
OPA827: € 8,17 (in SMD)

Interesting price range.

Benefit of RS, Farnell, Mouser etc.... Order today, receive tomorrow. With E-bay through China, it takes 3-4 weeks. But heck... 4$ for a OPA627.... or € 14 through Mouser (with € 20 shipping)..... Choice is easy.

But... I see that both op-amps are single only. The NE5532 is a dual. So I need a conversion socket?

Last edited: