DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

I've been monitoring this thread off and on for several weeks now. I purchased this DAC as well and started a thread about my build experience. I made some minor mods to fit the case I used. The thread can be found here.

I've been under the weather the last few days so haven't done anything further with the project. I'm very happy with the sound though, but have not made any mods to the board yet or swapped out any op-amps. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle unsoldering/soldering to swap out any SMDs quite yet. :D Please feel free to add comments and potential improvements to this DAC as well. Pictures of my build experiences can also be found here.

Last edited:
Hello - I have a question about thermisters.

For my build, I have a 30 VA toroidal transformer (15Vx2 9Vx2 from ebay seller Jims_audio). Per carlmart suggestion at post 492, I plan to place the 15V and 9V rectifier bridges and associated caps on a separate prototyping board, then wire this to the miniDAC board. Would it be worth considering putting a thermister in the power supply circuit to limit current surge at startup? I've seen this done in other threads. Any thoughts?

Hello - I have a question about thermisters.

For my build, I have a 30 VA toroidal transformer (15Vx2 9Vx2 from ebay seller Jims_audio). Per carlmart suggestion at post 492, I plan to place the 15V and 9V rectifier bridges and associated caps on a separate prototyping board, then wire this to the miniDAC board. Would it be worth considering putting a thermister in the power supply circuit to limit current surge at startup? I've seen this done in other threads. Any thoughts?

unless there's a short somewhere in the circuit, your dac will not draw more current than it needed

just use a suitable fast blow fuse between the iec socket and transformer, that will be more than enough..

I wonder why 9v transformer is needed at all if U4 is some kind of preReg for U5 +3.3v. Pehaps some 5-6VAC would be enough?

Attachments

• 3.3.jpg
    3.3.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 673
Build piccies

Nearly done with my build, waiting for the brown dog adapter and dual op amps...
I apologise for being a 'bit of a thicky' but...
There is one capacitor I am not sure about... marked with a ? on the attached pdf. Should this be left void, or the original ceramic used?

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere in this thread, I have tried to read the whole thread... I read most of it, honest!

I marked the 'position left void' capacitors with a red X.

Next I have to check the transformer and power up...

Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• 01.pdf
    186.1 KB · Views: 186
You should populate that position with the original ceramic (100nF X7R)

Thanks Dario.

Here is the other side of the board.
I am not sure I made the right choice for C27 either...
I used a BC 100uF 50v.
I haven't powered up this DAC yet so please don't anyone trust my build photo until it's proven... or approved as a guide by someone who knows what they are doing.

I just join the dots! I really don't understand why these things work, I just try to carefully mimic the more knowledgeable folk on this forum!

In pursuit of aural pleasure!

Bill

Attachments

• ND3_4799.jpg
    ND3_4799.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 679
A reason might be, that the absolute maximum input voltage of the LM1117 is 20V DC. If you use a 9-12V AC transformer, when unloaded the voltage at the transformer can go 20% higher. And after rectifying it will be multiplied by 1.41. So it might very easy reach the 20V. The 7809 series can go up to 32V input.

Hey, I joined the party. I picked up a AK4396 dac kit on ebay.

I have a few mod ideas... not sure if I'll implement them all.

- not sure if replacing on-board regulators will help (but I do have some Super Teddy Regs) to use

- going to bypass the opamp and use a srpp triode output using 6n16b miniature tubes

- I'd prefer using a usb transport with this dac - not sure if I'll simply go thru spif or maybe a way to get usb to i2s into this dac ?

Last edited:
Hey, I joined the party. I picked up a AK4396 dac kit on ebay.

I have a few mod ideas... not sure if I'll implement them all.

- not sure if replacing on-board regulators will help (but I do have some Super Teddy Regs) to use

- going to bypass the opamp and use a srpp triode output using 6n16b miniature tubes

- I'd prefer using a usb transport with this dac - not sure if I'll simply go thru spif or maybe a way to get usb to i2s into this dac ?

Try Dario's BOM.

Is that the SRPP that got torn to pieces for reverse polarity electrolytics?

Attachments

• MINI2496 BOM.pdf
    11.6 KB · Views: 162