DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

I realised my AD827 was not the same after i posted it, however I don't plan to be using an op amp in the future as I much prefer a discrete approach these days. I had great success with Giorgios (from TNT Audio) output stage on my TDA1541 DAC Just a matter of time before one of these is hanging off the end of this little gem. ;)

My next project for this DAC will be Broskie's Unbalancer.

hi guys.. i just bought this ak4396 kit off ebay (a little too late, i know)

i'm just wondering, how do we connect the transformer to the 13-15 supply voltage if we only have dual secondary transformer (judging by the 3 holes, i think it requires center tapped model)? can we just put the middle + & - wires together?

thanks in advance

It's not too late at all. Post a pic of your trafo secondaries and one of the guys will help you.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 652
hi guys.. i just bought this ak4396 kit off ebay (a little too late, i know)

i'm just wondering, how do we connect the transformer to the 13-15 supply voltage if we only have dual secondary transformer (judging by the 3 holes, i think it requires center tapped model)? can we just put the middle + & - wires together?

thanks in advance

There are no + & - wires coming from a transformer as transformers are AC. :confused:

Post a pic of your T/f and maybe we can help.

It's not too late at all. Post a pic of your trafo secondaries and one of the guys will help you.
There are no + & - wires coming from a transformer as transformers are AC. :confused:

Post a pic of your T/f and maybe we can help.

thanks for the reply..

i'm sorry, what i meant is the wires in the secondary output, there will be 4 wires. i was thinking maybe i can get center tapped by connecting the 2 middle wires?

this is my transformer: Buy Toroid Transformers Transformer,toroidal,30VA,0-230V pri,50/60Hz,2x0-15V sec Nuvotem 0030P1-2-015 online from RS for next day delivery.

thanks for the reply..

i'm sorry, what i meant is the wires in the secondary output, there will be 4 wires. i was thinking maybe i can get center tapped by connecting the 2 middle wires?

this is my transformer: Buy Toroid Transformers Transformer,toroidal,30VA,0-230V pri,50/60Hz,2x0-15V sec Nuvotem 0030P1-2-015 online from RS for next day delivery.

Based on the datasheet on that site, I think taking the yellow and black together will give you the 0 Vac point. Orange and Red are then the 15 Vac points.

Orange - Yellow/Black - Red

Maarten

Just take a look at the first post... ;)

yeah, thanks for the hint.. i got it later last night :)

Based on the datasheet on that site, I think taking the yellow and black together will give you the 0 Vac point. Orange and Red are then the 15 Vac points.

Orange - Yellow/Black - Red

Maarten

i thought so.. thanks!

does anyone here compared the stock ak4393/6 module to cambridge audio dacmagic? how's the result?

i'm coming from dacmagic (which i like quite ok), so i wanna know how my dac performs. if at least the ak4393 is in the same level, i think this would be a good upgrade since this dac is a lot cheaper

i have tried my friend's ak4393, but his use broskie cathode follower in the analogue stage. i admit his DAC is MUCH better than my dacmagic, and in par with the elektor 2000 DAC. but please bear in mind, the analogue stage is BCF, not the stock opamp or any other opamp

Last edited:
Sloppy or intentional?

Hi Folks,
I was about to send this board back but I though to check the schematic and it looks like the shorted pins on the two IC may be intentional?
Can someone please confirm this is not just sloppy solder work?

Thanks
Bill

Attachments

• ND3_4780.jpg
    ND3_4780.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
yeah, thanks for the hint.. i got it later last night :)
does anyone here compared the stock ak4393/6 module to cambridge audio dacmagic? how's the result?

i have tried my friend's ak4393, but his use broskie cathode follower in the analogue stage. i admit his DAC is MUCH better than my dacmagic, and in par with the elektor 2000 DAC. but please bear in mind, the analogue stage is BCF, not the stock opamp or any other opamp

no one?