DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

I would be interested about this as well. I am using my Macbook with optical output which I have to convert to SPDIF. It´s sometimes a problem because the cheap converters always blew up after some time. Now I have a Lindy, costed around 55€. But I wonder if I could improve the sound of my chain with this little board which only supports up to 96kHz, so maybe it´s old style?

Well, it all depends on the quality of the parts you get.

In my case I would have to pay $5 more for shipping, so it's $10 more for the other kit.

The capacitors type used have to be good quality.

Has anyone tried feeding the output directly from the AK4396 pins to the power amp? Or through a transformer?

What about the 256 levels digital volume capability?

Last edited:
Best op-amp to this kit..

Hi!

Just by accident I just discovered the best op-amp to use in this kit.

It has been suggested somewhere in this gargantuan thread, and I always have thought to try it out.

As I am using some expensive NJR/JRC MUSES op-amps, I usually shift them around my projects.

Just fired this DAC kit up after a long time, and thought the sound was a bit missing in volume.

Well, just turned the volume knob up a bit more, and waited for the DAC to warm up, sounding a bit raw when cold.

After listening for a while, I really thought the sound was exceptionally good, better than I remembered it to be.

So I paused the music, and went over to the DAC to see what op-amp I had in there.

There was no op-amp in there, I had forgotten to put one in, and I was listening to the op-amps in the DAC chips only.

And, yes - the DAC chip can easily drive the normal op-amp in this DAC kit, but it also can drive the input of my amp easily by it self.

So, as has been suggested somewhere in this thread, the best way to realize the good sound of this kit, is to use no op-amp at all.