Da-capo issue (John W?)

Do you know the actual BOM then? As a rule of thumb, it is, or was, 'retail is 10 times parts cost'. John mentioned £400 retail at one point.

CDQ is about £1000 retail, look it up.
I am aware that the the Dac chips alone are vastly more expensive than chips that are typically used in players many times the price FWIW.

That would have been British Hi-Fi industry rule of thumb though so as these items are Chinese the the margin might be greater?

I doubt it. Regardless of ethics the Chinese will have massive buy in power. The price difference of what they pay (ordering in hundreds or thousands) to what you pay would probably make your blood boil. Also IAG make many of their own parts, loudspeaker drive unit including voice coils, even tweeters and transformers in house. Few manufacturers make their own tweeters. Seas get a lot of work! :D

£80 for a few parts vs. an entire player for maybe £40 even in 'Chinese' money and scale. And you saying they didn't count the beans and make these items to a cost, necessarily leaving out some quality. Of course they did. And anyway John said it.

Of course. I am sure that John could make it here and build with higher tolerance parts and have more time to fine hone the product to make an even better machine.

You appear to be trying hard to 'sell' this Brand. Are you a dealer? I don't care if you are, but do try and keep a balanced view :) This is the DIY Audio forum after all and as many people here are pretty technically clued up and even working or designing in the industry, sales pitches tend to fall flat :)

I agree, but your post was unduly negative, DIY'ers like value. Not trying hard to sell this. You will see I waffle on all kinds of threads. When I like something I am vocal about it. Usually I bang on (perhaps too much) about the Linkwitz Pluto's.

I own a CDQ, I like the product, I wanted the feature set and it sounds good, so I am biased. :D

CDQ is about £1000 retail, look it up.
I know. This thread is a lot older than IAG's involvement. As I and others said, we've been following it for many years.
Dac chip....more expensive
I know they are in retail. I've been planning to make my own Sabre chip based DAC for some time. There'll probably be something better out before I get around to it. Up-scaled to 192 can sound better through my AK DAC chip than 16bit 44.1. But DSD can sound even better and it's a bit annoying that I am not enjoying the best quality level at the moment. If I had the money I'd be listening to the likes of the Ed Meitner CDSA SE player. EMM Labs - CDSA SE CD and SACD Player This is what can be made when you're not constrained by marketing accountants. About £15,000, look it up! It would have been nice if John had crafted something like this and shared it direct with niche enthusiasts for a price we could afford as well as making himself a good income from IAG for their mass market stuff.

Last edited:
This is what can be made when you're not constrained by marketing accountants. About £15,000, look it up! It's would have been nice if John had crafted something like this and shared it direct with niche enthusiasts as well as making himself a good income from IAG for their relatively 'budget' mass market stuff.

Yes it is nice to have cost no object gear if you can afford it. I like the build and unusual styling of the old De capo and the old PT Export. My Dads friend has the Decapo, I have used it, it still sounds pretty good for the vintage, but really it's no CDQ.

Some here will argue I am totally bonkers spending the big bucks on a circa £1k player, obviously I do not think so. Many will say all digital sounds exactly the same, that I should have spent £50 on something off ebay and built a passive pre or simply given up on CD and bought a streamer. Hey, I still have a Garrard 401.

I will say good loudspeakers make a much bigger difference than changing any electronics and many audiophiles underestimate how much power they need for truly great sound with real world speakers.

PT Ordinal+SPDIF

Hi,
I just got myself used Pink Triangle Ordinal. The BNC input works fine with transport signal, but when I hook up SPDIF from desktop only harsh noise can be heard with very distant sound of music (recognizable though). Any ideas? Onyone could help please?

P.S. Sorry for my poor english:).

Kind regards,
S.

Hello all, finally got around to sorting out all my Pink Triangle stuff. I have the following for sale:

1) Cardinal Unit non functioning original box.
2) Clock lock card.
3) Da capo case/chassis v.good condition original box.
4) DC Power Supply. Fully working with new batteries v.good condition original box etc.
5) 18 bit filter.
6) Ordinal with HDCD filter(needs the two TDA1547 chips changing, which i have new ones of with slotted holders, very tricky soldering work though) will be fully functioning with chips replaced. Unit has also been heavily upgraded by CPT Acoustics.
7) Cardinal remote.
8) Transformers and other bits and bobs removed from the Da Capo board
9) Da Capo A/C Power Card.

Cheers. Steven.

sorry for my poor english
i have an dacapo hdcd
after recap (fm panasonic)
i like this dacapo, but i know the limite of it...not really for sound, but for use
but....me..that' s for onely use for....cd from drive...or from recorder compact flash..in 48k
and..i m ok:)
i just imagine two upgrades
the limite for me, in this old design, that s only

the receiver
in try now to change the cs 8412 for the 8414 (and not forgot that many people, change vallue in the phase lock) ... in 95% of case that better (bass or aeration etc) ,( put a dir 9001....not easy...because cms 8214)

the point more delicat, ever so evident
the cms opa 604 for an 627 (or 637 if possible)...generally better...but but....
if i m prefered an discret opa, that not so easy in remplacement of opa cms

somes of you make them small very classical modifications????
thank you
and sorry for my french-english...
nicolas

ps
do you know why, for emplacement four capacitors in alimentation, are empty???????????????????
and di you know if we can found a card with at&t st? with classic in this periode , odl?
not so differente in design i think that toslink?

Hi guys!
I bought an Ordinal DAC off Ebay last week, and I am waiting for its arrival now.
It has some damage, one of the power supply transformers is off, so I will do work on it, but given the total cost, it is worth it, I think.

Two thing: Does anybody have a service manual for the Ordinal DAC?
If so, please mail me a copy at: radko71@abv.bg
I tried to Google it, no luck so far.

I read about the filter modules, and since I am getting a 1307 filter, which according to the general opinion is not good I am wondering where I could get a 22-bit HDCD filter module.
Any guidance is welcome, and I thank you all in advance!

DaCapo issue solved or not ?

John I was wondering if you came to any conclusion about the pink noise from the da-capo DAC from the post on the forum middle of last year.

I also have a Da-Capo which creates the same pink/white noise sound, with a hint of the music behind it, after a period of being powered up (doesn't seem to make a difference if it is in standby or not, just the power being plugged in).

The DAC has the HDCD filter fitted (so isn't the 1307 filter issue that you mentioned).

I have tried re-seating the filter module and moving the Input card to a different slot. Neither have made any difference.

Funnily enough about 4 – 5 months ago a Da-Capo came up for sale that must have been one of your development ones. The serial was no 1 and it had a dedication to your wife actully on the circuit board. If I had seen your name on these forums before now I would have let you know as it sold for silly low money…

Lastly I wondered if by any chance anyone might have a copy of the original Da-Capo instruction manual at all? I would really appreciate a photocopy of it (been trying to get one for ages), I am also looking for a Cardinal instruction manual as well…

Does anyone know the dip switch settings for the HDCD filter (or will I only get intelligible sound if I have used the correct setting)

What transport was the Cardinal based on… Yes I know the drawer etc is some bespoke low vibration material etc… but I guess the laser and motors etc. were taken from a commercially available Transport… It would be of immense help as I could then track down some s/h really cheap units that used the same laser and motors etc for future spares.

John can you remember if the cardinal produced performance figures (jitter etc.) better than most other transports produced, or is it just good figures for it's era?

Lastly is there any other transports that use a compatible clock lock to the Da-Capo DAC? Just wondered because at some point if the cardinal broke and it can’t repaired it would be good to know of any other transports that would work with the clock lock connection on the DAC.

Thanks for any info that can be offered.

John H

PS my Cardinal accepts CD-R’s without any drama (including the cheapest of the cheap CD-R’s), I haven’t tried RW’s but will later tonight.

Hi Mr-Mac!I have the same problem with my Dacapo,please can you (or other people on this forum) give my same information to solve the problem if is possible?
Thanks in advance

Antonio

I did some work to one with hiss and it seemed to not be a problem once I'd changed the various electrolytic capacitors in there, most of which were leaking. Plus I added some better ones, namely the Nichicon conductive polymer type, which did improve the sound.

There were still some hiss/noise problems as you describe, but it almost seemed as if it could be that the pins or sockets for the filter canister were not clean enough / tarnished.

When working well, it will hiss for the first ½ a second or so from switch on, then 'lock' on and the hiss stops. A different filter, the HDCD, was tried and there were random hiss problems with it. So I wondered if it was that the noise was about something not locking onto some clock signal due to tarnished contacts to / from the filter.

Last edited:
:confused:
I did some work to one with hiss and it seemed to not be a problem once I'd changed the various electrolytic capacitors in there, most of which were leaking. Plus I added some better ones, namely the Nichicon conductive polymer type, which did improve the sound.

There were still some hiss/noise problems as you describe, but it almost seemed as if it could be that the pins or sockets for the filter canister were not clean enough / tarnished.

When working well, it will hiss for the first ½ a second or so from switch on, then 'lock' on and the hiss stops. A different filter, the HDCD, was tried and there were random hiss problems with it. So I wondered if it was that the noise was about something not locking onto some clock signal due to tarnished contacts to / from the filter.

Hi IanAs And thanks for your reply, i have to say you that all caps are already replaced and i have looking for if there were corroded tracks but could not find anything.I have a oscilloscope,but i have'nt electric diagram so i can't check waveforms as SCK , L/R ,DATA ,please see picture attached.
I tried to compare them with those of my Philips CD 650 that has a TDA1541 (pin 1.2.3)and the signals were not equal but attenuated and distorted and dirty.
I also tried changing input slot but nothing resolved.
Now I'm almost discouraged!
It would be interesting to have the references of the waveforms and/or voltage of the test points on the PCB.

Attachments

• IMG_20121118_122019.jpg
    IMG_20121118_122019.jpg
    832.9 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_20121118_121935.jpg
    IMG_20121118_121935.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Hi, I had had similar problem as you have. My case was white noise, cricking noise, distortion on the sound and sound level difference right and left. I wander how do you connect the output of Dacapo to the AMP. I assume the D might be very sensitive to the very small current from outside. I make numbers of pre-AMPs using Valves. The recent development is using 70 times lower signals from D for reducing the distortion for overall pre-AMP. So, far D has been working happily with it.
The configuration of the mother board and DIP is as follows;
1 – 2 >> Open, 2 – 3 >> Close. DIP: 1 >> Right, 2 >> Left, 3 >> Right, 4>> Left.
I recommend the Audio lab M-DAC for the replacement of D, setting the audio level to 0 dB and the filter to Transient XD. If you buy it, you need to burn it at least one week. Do not criticise the initial sound you hear. I have not done yet the close comparison between M and D. However, I feel D with HDCD is slightly better. I hope my comments will help you someway.
Regards, Tammy

Hi, Further to my article yesterday, I would like to inform of the new development. Up to Yesterday my D had been working perfectly. However, I noticed today it has been dead. From this result I believe my suspecting was wrong. I have started to use M-Dac again. On the other hand, I have noticed I need to change some electrical parameter in my development for this change. Perhaps the sound resolution will be changed as well.
All DC powers of D are OK, but when the mains power is on, HDCD and Stand By indicators are on and 1-2second later HDCD indicator is going off and it never come back again. Also I have noticed all signal relays do not energized. If anybody comes close to the solution, please let me know.
Regards, Tammy

Hi Antonio,
I agree with you, we can pinpoint the faulty components if the schematic diagram is available. However, it can be difficult to obtain it. Before I purchased M-DAC, I had tested about 9 difference DACs. The price ranges of those were from £ 400.00 to £ 2500.00. Unfortunately none of those were satisfactory for my projects. There were no details at edges of sounds. Those were like unfocused pictures. Also, the most of those were modulating sounds to their tastes. Some end users might prefer such sound. One of reasons of it might be that their own AMP might be infected by some modulations as well (can not hear original sound). It is difficult to use such products as the reference, if some systems are developing. So far I have been finding M-DAC is one to satisfy all most my requirements. I assume J/W’s development philosophy is to create natural sound on the DAC. I have noticed this strategy since I hard the sound through D. I assume his secret might not be published. I am thinking to sell off my D as the spare parts purpose only and 1307 + HDCD filters separately. My original D was fitted 1307 filter. When I purchased HDCD filter, Pink Triangle requested to modify my D. It seems the modification was that <HDCD on signal> feeds from the front indicator panel to the HDCD filter using a tiny cable and plug. I wander if the latest D has got this cable or it is required same modification as I had when the end user is going to replace with HDCD. I would like to have an answer if anybody knows it to my question.
Regards, Tammy

PT da Capo 220-240 Volt mains card?

Hi

This mentions the breaking of these DACs for spares..?

My M-DAC broke Down Within 2 weeks of purchase....
My da Capo battery pack is also troubled?

Does anybody hAve For Sale a 220 volt mains card either with or without replaced capacitors from a scrapped da Capo?

Thanks

Alistair p.,
Scotland