• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

D3a Experimenters Breadboard Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm with SY on this one, in terms of linearity I haven't seen anything much better than the D3A.. I have used them in power amplifier designs and I use a pair in my phono stage where their noise performance is incomparable - never encountered anything this quiet..

And yes the transconductance can vary massively from one sample to the next, I have my stash of D3A all acquired for around $10 each and all are Halske and Siemens..

I'm also quite a fan of the 5842/417A a device which many have tarred with the same brush.

Doug, I am definitely interested in a board or two so sign me up if I am not too late..

I realize now that I should have probably gotten one of these boards. Oh well. Still I have some other experimenter boards that I can try.

I recently picked up some 6J52Ps off ebay on recommendation from Wavebourne. He suggested they were like D3A's. I have some D3A's too, it would be neat to compare.

That reminds me I need a lab supply.

dsavitsk said:
Domestic boards are in the mail. International ones will need to wait until Monday -- sorry about that.

No worries, that will give me time to think about what tubes to try them with (I have a new policy on not listing tubes on this forum, I have noticed how that is driving prices up; lets just say it's between a Russian tube and an NOS TV tube).

SY said:
like the provision for a chip resistor as gridstopper.

Those are actually plate and cathode stoppers -- the grid stopper is full sized :(

JoshK said:
Which chip resistors do you like to use for gridstoppers?

I don't have an opinion -- I like the ones that let me order 2 rather than 10. There is a little in MJ about SMD stoppers, so he may mention a specific type.

I have added some additional information on the website -- specifically some CCS details. Let me know if there is anything else I need to add.

Which chip resistors do you like to use for gridstoppers?

As stated the chip resistors are in the cathode and plate circuits. I usually use some generic 50 X 80 mil (0805) sized chip resistors that I got from a vendor sample kit for grid stoppers.

I may find time to build up one this weekend. I need to evaluate some tubes that are currently on the $1 list at ESRC. There are two weekends left in the $1 sale.

I plan to build a minimal configuration. Grounded cathode, variable negative grid bias from a power supply, triode mode, CCS or resistor plate load.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.