Cyrus Two low input impedance?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
whats gan on said:

hi i have just removed the four diodes and the regulators the power led still lights up. and the amp sounds great would i expect any sonic improvment similar to psx or was what i done a waste of time :bawling:

As mentioned earlier by Anatech (Chris),
The Electrolytic caps in the phono stage are ageing now and are often the cause of oscillation in the (phono) power supply.

This oscillation can cause modulation in the rest of the system and also overheating of the two regulators that you have removed.
In theory you have freed more power for the line and power sections but this is probably virtually insignificant here.

The PSX transformer is MUCH larger than the internal one, puts out a slightly higher voltage and also has 30,000uF capacitance per rail. (4 X 15,000uF slit foil caps).

anatech said:
Hi richie00boy,
Pretty much what I'm thinking.

Martin, it is possible to have an mechanical solder connection that is insulated electrically. It's hard to see if you don't clean the flux off. Understand it would be unintentional on your part.

-Chris

Update:
I'm still trouble shooting the distortion. There's definitely an invisible dodgy connection somewhere. It's working fine at the moment with no distortion but this problem keeps coming back randomly whenever I work on it.

I'll keep searching for the problem and thanks for all the advice so far.
I'm gradually convincing my Son that Santa should bring him an oscilloscope this year!!
I am really learning something, and that is priceless. (A mantra for the frustrated) :D

Cheers,
Martin.

Sonusthree said:

As mentioned earlier by Anatech (Chris),
The Electrolytic caps in the phono stage are ageing now and are often the cause of oscillation in the (phono) power supply.

This oscillation can cause modulation in the rest of the system and also overheating of the two regulators that you have removed.
In theory you have freed more power for the line and power sections but this is probably virtually insignificant here.

The PSX transformer is MUCH larger than the internal one, puts out a slightly higher voltage and also has 30,000uF capacitance per rail. (4 X 15,000uF slit foil caps).
if this is anything to go by this result is wonderful just doing what i have done yeeeeeha
i am over the moon

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrew,
The new PSX-R is smart. It adjusts it's output voltage to suit the device it's being used with.

It's also nice to be able to buy an integrated amp for the office or bedroom and upgrade it smply by plugging in the PSX-R as your needs change.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.