Cyrus Amplifier 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
these C39 and C40 22mfd capacitors i have changed ...still problem exist...

I would have to actually look and observe how one of these behaves. I doubt you will ever get it silent, some noise is inevitable on a design without speaker muting.

You could perhaps try grounding the power amp input (haven't got the circuit in front of me just now) and confirming that the noise is still present.

Have your speakers changed recently ? Different speakers with extended LF response can make these kind of noises much louder. Just a thought.

Other than that and its as Lojzek and myself suggest... change all the electrolytics first before looking deeper. And if both channels behave identically then its possible its a normal kind of noise for this design.

i am using this for the past 10yrs ...never heard such noise ...just started recently....also the speakers i am using is tannoy Sixes 605 and magnat monitor series and system audios ...but i was using the cyrus with my tannoy for the last few months no issues noticed ..also the all suspected capacitors changed still same problem....the 2nos 470 6v bipolar and other small bipolar not changed ...kind advice needed..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi naveen francis,
I've repaired many Cyrus amplifiers and used to do warranty service on them as well. First check the phono amplifier stage power supply as it does run all the time while the unit is plugged in. The main electrolytic capacitors could be suspect, and they have to fit exactly in the cut outs in the PCB.

If that doesn't fix it, then it needs to be serviced by a technician who is competent with Cyrus amplifiers.

The design of that amplifier is quite good for one. After a proper service, it will last for many more years. These are reliable products.
... and to be honest you would be better looking on ebay or similar for a replacement .
I can't think of worse advice to be given, except to maybe repair it yourself. Ebay equipment at best haven't been touched by service, so they have old age issues still - putting you in the same spot you are in right now. Probably in the near future if not right away. Get it to a really good audio technician and have it serviced. Let them change any parts, even if you just installed them yourself. Then if they are truly good bench technicians, you get it back and enjoy it for another decade or so.

So these are very reliable if repaired properly. The design is advanced for their time, and still advanced comparing to most of what is on the market today. So, well worth repair and don't worry about reliability unless traces are damaged.

-Chris

My suggestion to look on ebay was as a last resort if the unit he has is not cost effective to repair and another Cyrus was needed obviously some common sense is required when purchasing from there but it is possible to pick up some good condition/ serviced kit occasionally .

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
True, but there is one universal constant I wish people would remember. Absolutely no-one has a proper service job done, then sells the item. The work will always be only what is required to make the item work and nothing more. Also, expect the work to be of very low quality and rushed.

It never changes, if an item is advertised anywhere as being just serviced, it will have had crappy work done to make it go. The re-cap guys are now the bandits of the audio world. 99% of the time this is true.

-Chris

I used to be a car salesman it was common practice to sell cars with a full service just done . :)
Seriously though your 99 percent is accurate but occasionally you get lucky and yes the re-cap cowboys are everywhere now.
With regard to the op ,he just seems to be going round in ever decreasing circles personally if it were me and i wanted to keep the Cyrus it would go to either Cyrus themselves or at least someone like yourself thats actually worked on them and damm the cost :)
I'vn just got my Musical Fidelity x ray cd player back cost new in 2000 GBP 800 , service labour plus parts GBP 626 . 16 i 've asked for the 16 pence discount :)

Good Morning ,

Thank you all for the support ...At last i am rectified my beloved Cyrus 2 fault.

I would like to share the details.

In the power supply stage The transformer + - + the common connection soldering was not proper ....unable to identify with our eyes very minute..so removed the connections and re soldered.... Now it is working perfect ...thanks again all for the kind support.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.