Cutting Fluid - What do you use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used WD40 for tapping holes in heat sinks, but the smell would stick around for days and my wife would complain when I brought the sinks inside the house. It didn't matter what I did to clean the WD40 off the sinks and my hands, the smell was there, or worse the smell of chemical cleaning products. So I switched to Singer sewing machine oil which has little if no smell at all. I don't know about its properties but it seems to work just as well as WD40, the bottle has a nice long nozzle, and I'm allowed to do wiring in front of the TV again.
AJ

In my shop we work mostly with aluminum. A9 is a great product.
Lately though,I've been using Walter Alucut. Comes in a grease-gun style tube,
and is about the consistency of wax. We just rub the end of the tube on our bandsaw blades,drill-bits and taps. Marvelous stuff! Obviously not intended for high production machining,which uses flood cooling anyway,but is great for short runs or one-offs.Easy clean up too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.