Curved magnetostatic speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have tried curved or even almost cylindrical magnetostatic speaker? Rubber neodymium magnets are made up to N8 grade, price is similar to sintered but grade almost five times weaker. Typical thickness is 2 or 5mm, for multipole pitch is 5mm.

Second thing is how efficient (smooth SPL) is asymmetric motor like this one below.

Attachments

• 3ca9b8b52d.gif
    3ca9b8b52d.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,782
Are you able to download more than one page from cited document? It looks like an omnidirectional ribbon horn loaded - clever!

We need to know which motor is better - multipoled or monopoled and what kind of cavities (holes) are optimal. Push-pull seems to be a must for low grade magnets. I'm thinking about long flexible magnet 50mm*1000mm*5mm, N8, 70$, Xiamen China, rest of the membrane passive, ~20cm cylindrical speaker = good WAF.

No, it's one page at a time I think, to stop people scouring their website for everything, and presumably thereby to limit traffic demands.

Back to the invention - yes it is clever. I thought I had something unique in mind until I saw this. I've been doing a few very crude experiments, and the basic concept is promising. My goal was/is to achieve a better high frequency dispersion than speakers like my Magnepans manage. This certainly seems to be achievable, but needs better design to improve the efficiency.

I'm on the verge of ordering Neodymium magnets, and have some ideas about construction that I might share here if I do any more construction work, and there is interest from the forum. Until then it's just speculation on my part :)

Ed

Well there are many ways to make this work. One is to make a version of a ribbon source. This requires high current in an intense magnetic field (see some of the threads on full range ribbons for typical magnet structures). Usually, the ribbon is a very low impedance, and employs a step down transformer to match this load to what a typical amplifier can drive.

Then there is the Magnepan approach, with wire bonded to a thin diaphragm. The advantage here was that lots of wire could be distributed over a large area of panel, with wires making multiple circuits through some sections of the field, as necessary.

I have considered both methods.

Ed

Hello,
jzagaja, try this please:
www.depatisnet.de
> Recherche
> Einsteiger
> Veröffentlichungtsnummer (DE3614313, split DE)
> Recherche starten
> Anzeige PDF
> press ESC
> 300dpi
> ESC
> copy the Patent number in the top right, if needed
> Volldokument laden
> fill in the code field (Verifikation Zeichenkette)
> store the document (using the copied number, is desired).
Regards, Timo

My diaphram messures 120x980mm. and is made of alufolie witch paper in DK. it is used to ¨store food in.Thickness of alu is 0.007mm. + the paper.I cut it into coils of 8mm.wide. I use 11 meters to make a diaphram and the Resistance is 5 ohm.The tape is from 3M called microporre and for helth care.I cut it to coils of 3mm. wide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.