Curve Tracers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a possibility that we will develop a 4 to 8 socket add-on board for our CT100. It would allow testing of several devices at a time and indicate which are most closely matched within some sort of comparison criteria. Feedback on what type of criteria is considered vital and/or most important will help us create the best types of comparison tests in software.

It may be of interest to you that we used the EasyPIC board and mikroBasic as part of our intial development of the CT100.

As you might know
there is a special forum for Group Buys.
This:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=46

It is when, many members sign a list to buy some special item.
Then somebody will order this total number items from supplier.
When you buy maybe 100 pieces of something, you can get lower price.
Then if you only buy 1.

So for members here A Group Buy can give a better price
even if each member only buy 1.

Regards
lineup

This info is from diyAudio Announcement about Group Buying.
Group Buys

From time to time, members may find it advantageous to pool their orders for popular parts or for parts specific to a particular project. We encourage this activity on a non-commercial basis, since it reduces prices for everyone and makes it easier for members overcome the first hurdle in a project- getting the parts. If the member or members organizing the group buy run it on a non-profit basis, or profit in some very nominal way (for example, getting their own personal parts cost covered by the group buy), these group buys may be posted on the non-commercial portions of diyAudio.com. If a group buy is intended to generate a substantial profit (in our sole judgement) or is being organized as part of a commercial or promotional activity (in our sole judgement), it must take place in the commercial area under the normal fee structure.

wds said:
Being new here in the forum, explain "group buy"?

I sent off an email to AudioFreak to inquire about the Vendor's section....to stay out of trouble due to the commercial nature of our product and this discussion. Do any of the moderators here know how this is handled?

I was going to email you about this but i wanted to see how much interest we really had before contacting you.

Sometimes manufacturers will setup a special deal for DIYaudio members or offer a discount if many items are purchased all at once. Usually it takes at least 10 people or so or the MFG will say ok if you get 25 people we will give a x% discount or something.

Other group buys i have been involved in they have offered free shipping, or they would include some accessory for free or something as such.

There seems to be quite the interest in your product here. By George i think you are on to something!

So would you consider setting up a group buy for us? If so there is a group buy section in the classifieds for the deal.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=46

You can setup an ad there and people can add there name to the list.

Zc

INTERESTING!!

I am reading up on my John Curl History and found an interesting quip about J.C and selecting Fet's from a stereophile article.

I am posting this here because WDS asked what we look for when selecting devices and this is a twist i hand't thought of!

From Stereophile:
http://www.stereophile.com/phonopreamps/640/

Footnote 3: John Curl hand-selects FETs for the SCP-2 with a transistor tester which not only measures noise but classifies that noise according to frequency. Thus he can select both on the basis of low noise and of noise with a particular spectral density.—John Atkinson

Thanks for the "group buys" info. Understand that we do all our work: engineering, PCB, components, soldering, and testing here in the US....not China, so our costs on this product generally prohibit us from offering price discounts.

Seeing the interest in this forum for the CT100 is encouraging and we are willing to offer free shipping within the US, and discounted shipping outside the US if a group wishes to gather.

We will formulate something and post it on the Group Buys forum, or commercial area, but we need to hear from the Webmaster/Moderators about our commercial status here and get a green-light of some sort before we proceed.

Hey free Shipping is free shipping!

How fast of a PC is required to run this software? I wouldnt think it need be real fast.

Depending on how big the board is, I was thinking that it would be cool to take an old laptop, remove the keyboard, battery, cd-rom and anything else you could, But keep the touchpad and make a new cover for the keyboard location with transistor sockets mounted in it. (you would have to strategically place the sockets to fit around internal componets, but with batt & cd rom removed shoulnt be a problem) And older laptop would be better as they are slightly larger. something like an old Toshiba Sattellite that was a little bit thicker would work best.

Change the windows shell directory and the unit would boot right into the program.

You would have a cool portable, foldable rig!

DANG i want that high powered version now!

Since data is gathered with the onboard CPU first and then transmitted via USB at full speed, your computer only has to do the graphics as quickly as possible...though fast graphics is not a critical requirement. Your computer must also have USB 2.0. No additional drivers are required. It's really a no hassle plug-n-play product.

Graphics resolution should be 1024x768 or better for the sake of not bunching up the graph and data points. We very much recommend higher resolution. The screenshots on the webpage are 1920x1200 and are very readable.

It is well designed so that many testing enhancements can be implented directly through PC side software. We have some new hardware enhancements in the works, some of which can be done now on existing boards, which will at least double the present current (I) capabilities.

We have next generation hardware designs in the works, but we cannot predict yet when they will be available. The CT100 is what we have for now along with new software enhancements as they become available.

Zero Cool said:
Footnote 3: John Curl hand-selects FETs for the SCP-2 with a transistor tester which not only measures noise but classifies that noise according to frequency. Thus he can select both on the basis of low noise and of noise with a particular spectral density.—John Atkinson
This sort of test is beyond the scope of our product, but interesting nonetheless.

Zero Cool said:

Digital and noise measurement don't easily mix, and measuring nanovolts is a challenge, not so much in the design of an amplifier, but in its layout and shielding and the inter-connects you use -- jiggle the cables a little and you induce an EMF ! If you have a PIC or AVR running at some MegaHertz in the vicinity of the DUT -- without careful sheilding you can get all sorts of measurement headaches.

Take a look at the Texas Instruments PDF on the TL431 for a circuit used to characterize the noise of this device -- but make sure to RFI protect the inputs. I have used an SSM2019 differential amplifier to good effect.

One thing you can do with digital is skip the true RMS conversion since this can be done in software if you have some DSP skills (I don't so I stick with the AD536 in the HP3478 and/or the HP 3403C meter).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.