Current status of Victoria Magnetics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Colescuttle,
I have purchased one Avel transformer, a big name brand, for my first chipamp, 625va, and 3 1kva from Antek for my Leach and A-75. I also bought 2 50va for the frontend circuit. To date I can tell no difference in the Antek trannies from the Avel. They do not hum or get hot. One nice thing about the Antek units is they give you a couple of extra incidental voltage windings which are quite handy. They also arrive in about 2 days here in U.S. Good folks.
I try to buy a little on the large size for my projects because the extra power costs so little extra. This alleviates most of the problems one encounters. If you build a little can to cover the trannies and insulate you will also have some benefits. I usually cut down a old coffee can and use it. Works nice.

I might be wrong here but I believe most of the AFFORDABLE transformers we use are built overseas anyway. Plitrons and a few others are hundreds more in cost which is what happens when things are built in this part of the world. They are nice. I just can not afford them.

Parts Express has a pretty decent assortment of Avel trannies.

Tad

Are the R-core designs really that much of an improvement? I really like the way they look. Heck I would still buy standard old style transformers if they were cheap.

Now if we could get the winding specs for the Mcintosh MC3500 amp I would have to try winding my own. I really would like one of those monsters. Just to see what $20,000 PER CHANNEL sounds like.

Tad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.