Current state of wireless audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Too bad they don't make the squeezebox touch any more. I suggest you have a look at Community Squeeze, or simply run squeezelite on a raspberry pi (possibly with an add-on DAC such as the HiFiBerry) and a wi-fi dongle.

Well, I have amp, self-made, happy with it and few years ago I integrated PCM2702 into it. Ever since I am looking for some sort of Wi-Fi module, that I can integrate into the amp as well. So it gets signal ( apparently audio stream from laptop through wi-fi) than outputs it as USB data so I can feed it into PCM2702 and get rid of long usb cable that I plug into my Laptop every time me and my neighbors watch movies.

So I wait, wait and don't really understand how come that there plenty of Wi-Fi speakers available on the market but nothing close to what I am searching for =)

Well, I have amp, self-made, happy with it and few years ago I integrated PCM2702 into it. Ever since I am looking for some sort of Wi-Fi module, that I can integrate into the amp as well. So it gets signal ( apparently audio stream from laptop through wi-fi) than outputs it as USB data so I can feed it into PCM2702 and get rid of long usb cable that I plug into my Laptop every time me and my neighbors watch movies.

If it is movies you want to watch, then you need the low latency offered by multimedia solutions such as the WiSA promoted by Overkill. For audio, the raspberry pi solution is hard to beat.

So I wait, wait and don't really understand how come that there plenty of Wi-Fi speakers available on the market but nothing close to what I am searching for =)

Hi.
Did you maybe miss to read what Julf wrote and you quoted?
It is exactly what you are looking for :)
Ok, I missed the videopart :) but Julf answered.

Regards

Last edited:
If it is movies you want to watch, then you need the low latency offered by multimedia solutions such as the WiSA promoted by Overkill. For audio, the raspberry pi solution is hard to beat.

O..., ok, will take my time to find out what it is after Ukraine crisis is over.
Right now I keep an eye on Obama and his ideas to implement sanctions all across the world against Russia =) He makes me nervous.

Any way, thanks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Nuforce Air DAC is one of the best of the easiest wireless systems. No setup, works within seconds. Point to point connection, well thought out protocol (audio specific). I don't understand it is not as popular as other systems as it wins easily from existing solutions (when sound quality is concerned).

But....it can only be used with Ipads/Ipods/Mac's/PC's and other computer gear to analog amplifiers. There is no analog to wireless sender in their catalog AFAIK.

Last edited:
What are some of the better options out there for sending and receiving HiFi audio wirelessly?

I know of one vendor here who advertises a wireless kit which looks pretty good (see the attached pic), but without knowing of that, what is readily available?

I maintain a Logitech Squeezebox ecosystem in my own house and love it. However, my sister has asked me to come up with potential ideas for music distribution to be used in her new house. If she is not interested in setting up Squeezeboxes and a server, what would be a good idea? Rasberry Pis? Airport Express?

I think cutting holes in walls is off the table currently. :D

For speakers and amplification, I am leaning toward smallish speakers based on the recently popular Vifa TC9 fullrange, and multiple TPA3116 amps.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I've been playing around with some old technology (that was originally used to send analog TV signals and is pretty inexpensive) to send 24bit 48kHz S/PDIF wirelessly. Works great, but limited to 48kHz or lower spdif rate. The interface is simple: just directly connect the spdif coax where the video would be connected to the transmitter. At the other end, spdif will be streaming out the "video" jack, and just connect this to the component as needed. Just do a search for "AV Sender 5.8GHz" on Ebay and you will see some options and pricing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.