Current from PassLabs amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GRollins said:
Supposedly there was a demonstration using a Phase Linear to drive (as I heard it) a small air conditioner. Pop a 60Hz signal in the front and hook up the air conditioner to the back.
Stunts like that are nifty in their own way, but unrealistic...at least for me, because I don't care to listen to air conditioners. Or welding rigs, for that matter.

Grey

Similar to the PS Audio power plants... :clown:

Take the few minutes to measure it, certainly worth the effort.

@ h_a

I measured the Voltages on the ML gear many times.
The ML-2 run out of steam at approx. 13 Volts and the with the ML-3 I obtained ratings of 30 to 35 Volts and still no clipping.
At these levels you only really grasp at what level it's playing when you try to talk with the person who's sitting next to you.

With the Thresholds S/1000 series II rewired for massive parallel output just like a SA/1, by WBS German importer of Threshold in these days, could clip the amp but not as easily as my ML-2's or the Passlab X-250.5.
The latest JRDG model 7's and Krell KMA-200's series II I had both for quite long time, had no problem with the load of the Acoustat but I preferred the ML-2 and S/1000 after modification.

Attachments

• threshold_s1000_seriesii.jpg
    threshold_s1000_seriesii.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 488
I meant measuring the voltage while listening at your usual listening level.

I'm sorry, I can't imagine that somebody listens seriously to music at 300W output power. Maybe if you're sitting in a cathedral-sized room.

But what do I know :)

Have fun, Hannes

I'm sorry, I can't imagine that somebody listens seriously to music at 300W output power. Maybe if you're sitting in a cathedral-sized room.

@ h_a

Halfway in the Nineties one of the founders of Restek Germany invited us to Kassel. He said that Burmester (Berlin based firm) made good preamps but no good amps like his firm.
We (I worked saturdays in a audio shop were McIntosh was sold and in earlier days Threshold, imported by Ad van Meedenvoort, Nelson Pass will remember that) anw we took a pair of 1200 Watts RMS Exponent mono-amps to test them with my Acoustats. These monsters had a big VU meter and a digital readout display for power.
Put a record of Ulla Meinecke in the turntable and settled for a firm listening session.
Digital readings of 1700 Watts were quickly obtained an after a half hour one of the amps said goodby with a smokeplume although the amp had an array of safeguards....
They never work when you need them.

A S/300, optical bias, one of my first American amps, played louder and gave no problems at all at these listening levels.

After that I sticked with US based amps.
McIntosh (Had the MC-2600 for a short while) also performs loosy with my speaker.

So Watt ratings are quite meaningless but you allready knew that.

Hi guys, just my thoughts....I use an X350 on a daily basis with a pair of Final full range stats, they have a difficult impedance curve dropping to 1.5ohm through the higher frequencies, they are rated at 83dbW, I have never had any problems driving them, but I don't listen at too high a volume, in my experience stats really aren't the best designs for that anyway, but saying that, the X350 will still deliver considerable power into that load, not as much as some other designs I grant you, but probably more than most folk will ever need, I think my point is if you want an amplifier to deliver massive current into a difficult load maybe a Pass design is not the one for you....but if you value sound quality it most certainly is!!. One last point I previously had a Levinson 332 power amp it really didn't sound as good and it also proceded to burst into flames one evening, gave me and the wife a real scare!...I have had the X350 for few years now it has been faultless....needless to say I wont be buying a Levinson design again.

To be fair:

Somebody in Quebec with handson experience:

"... well a friend of mine uses a x350 which is much more stable than the other smaller amps,the needle is just barely past the middle and never moves,he drives acoustats 2+2 modified to model 4.

tight bass,and the rest is incredible in timbres.

he listens to new age mostly, lots of very deep bass, he had krell before the krells are a little on the cooler side in terms of sound not as involving but wow the dynamics are incredible,so much you can hear the panels crack once in while.

I would strongly recomend the x350 it has a lot better current for the difficult driving acoustat's, we tried audio research, vt200 classic 150, krell kma 100, krs-100, classe 700 &1000, and the winner is pass lab x350,it has it all.like i said not as dynamic but very close as the krell.

an old amp to consider also is the model 9 jeff rowland,they can drive anything also.

Sorry mr. Pass......................... :dodgy:

Well maybe selling the pair of refurbished ML-2's and acquiring a Passlab X-350.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.