Curious about horn sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I should do the legwork myself but you could spare me a lot of reading...
Sometime in the future I might be forced into building a sub for the lowest ocatves.
I tend to forget numbers so feel free to correct me if something seems off..

Let's make a couple of assumptions.
20-80Hz @110dB. (20-60 might work but 80 seems like a standard goal?)

How small can you make it if you opt for either a TH or a FLH?
What kind of driver would you need? (10",12",15",...?)
I'm thinking corner loaded and using two might be a possibility?
How would these compare with a CB+LT or ACE-Bass?
Pwerful amps might be easier to obtain than building a horn?

This is just me feeding my curiosity, maybe we can get a rewarding discussion going somehow?

That's awsome. Lol
Maybe not as small as I was hoping for but very impressive.
Although hiding them under the floor is ingenious I sort of doubt my landlord appreciating that form of redecorating. :)
You need to define what is "small".
20Hz to over 200 Hz can be done at over 110 dB just using a 7.76 cubic foot (actual built size) ported cabinet with a pair of high Xmax drivers.
With room/corner gain, a single half that size may hit 110 dB.

Art

Attachments

• 2x1219Fb.jpg
    2x1219Fb.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 660
Hello,

The stand type bass horn shown in the following attached picture used to replace 3 ported cabinet using the famous JBL 15GTI at my friend Didier's home. (Th eleft horn and right horns are each double ducts horns and 4 Altec 515 are used for the whole bass horn.

I used to listen to both version and the sound of the system using the basshorn stand type is "world record level" compared to the sound that was delivered before by the 3 x JBL15GTI subs. I really think that nothing can be better in the bass register such a lrage basshorn. Really an amazing and so natural and detailed sound (details and melody in the bass register, yes!).

Best regards from Paris.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Attachments

• estrade_Didier_s.jpg
    estrade_Didier_s.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 687
  • pav_didier_s.jpg
    pav_didier_s.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 618
Ok, let's see...
For me a small horn would be something with a footprint in the 0.5m^2 region.
Although I could see myself building a floor horn like that I'm afraid my livingroom is to small.
I estimate something like 5.5x3.5m but I'm not sure since I'm moving in a month and I don't have the floor plan for the appartement.

Hello,

Sub boxes are they have around them, for most of them, a certain "fridged" area, are often more intrusive in your living room that such floor bass horn.

Floor stands like this are often used by interior designers as aesthetic elements...
The whole area above them can be used which is nor the case with convnetional sub boxes.

Best regards from Paris,

France

It looks like you need at least a couple of meters (possibly more than that) of free space between yourself and the horn?

Hello Markus,

For the last picture, the listening distance is less than 3 meters from the mouth and there is no audible artifacts due to that limited listening distance.

That's really surprising for me that here in France wher the living rroms are generally smaller than in most other countries there is many floor bass horns like this and that in countries where the mean living room is larger than in France there is none...

There is another solution more adapted to smaller living rooms which is the "stereophonic floor corner bass horn".
Here is a shematics of that one (bass horn in red color line, median wall of the horn in blue, purple = Western Electric 22A, Green = tweeter horn):

Depth from the corner 1.5 meter
Width of the mouth = 3 meters.

Best regards from Paris, France

Attachments

• corner_floor_basshorn.gif
    corner_floor_basshorn.gif
    9 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
Oh, I have no doubt about that.
My concern was rather the limiting dimensions of my room.
If I'm forced to sit too close to the horn?
It looks like you need at least a couple of meters (possibly more than that) of free space between yourself and the horn?
Bass horns, if used below 100 Hz or so, have little directionality, so the distance from the mouth is not important, they will simply sound louder the closer you are to them.

Hello 3GGG

The 3 bass horns I attached pictures of them, are using Altec 515.

You can use either Altec416, they work very well in bass horns and Jean Hiraga in his ceiling horns uses Altec 416.

Then more exotic stuff: Fertin field coil, Supravox field coil...

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hello,

The floor basshorns pictured are used without any problem with a low pass crossover set at 350Hz, some of them with an active correction are used until 450Hz.

Here attached a frequency response curve for a single channel of the bass horn seen in :
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7042/estrade31024x768qs8.jpg

alos the pulse response (PCM wav 2kHz) in text format.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Attachments

• FR_basshorn.gif
    FR_basshorn.gif
    12.8 KB · Views: 370
  • pulse_basshorn.txt
    9.9 KB · Views: 51
Hello 3GGG,

In the very low frequency the music is in general monophonic so the 2 bass horns should operte in phase so, probably this will have a positive influence the measurement of the response.

In the older version of his audio system, my friend Didier had 3 VOT and 2 large Subs with JBL W15GTI.

When he built his floor bass horn the bass and subbass register was so much better (the Impulse Reponse is far better than any subwoofer box... and this is really audible!) that he decided to not use the JBL subs anymore.

And for sure I can certifies that this is my reference system for subbass and I do'nt hear any lack of subbass... (even on movies soundtracks).

But please notice that my other friend Frédérix used some DSP to obtain a most linear response above 18Hz.

Best regards from Paris

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

That's just beautiful.
I'm getting a strong craving, getting a little horny so to speak... lol

The coolest part is that I started this thread thinking about a sub, let's say 20-80Hz.
If the floor horn can play that well up into the 450Hz region I might be able to forgo the mid-bass section all togeather and just use the horn.

Gah, how do you build such a beast in a rented appartement. ;P
I love it but it will make my life more challenging.

Thankyou Jean Michel. I am utilising a fully actice setup wit DSP so a little tweaking will be possible. Can you commit on the Great Plains Altec drivers, they seem amazing value if they are suitable?
Mark I think it may be possible to build in two separate halves, they wouldn't be portable but if you are handy with the tools it may be able to be built insitu then removed win you leave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.