CuantumFuse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll keep you informed as info comes in. The main area where this would be of great benefit is for high reliability designs where we cant use lead free solder because of the reliability risks, yet the lead free supporters are getting pretty miffed that lead is still being used. Europe is already starting to bend over and hint that the exemption will be removed (medical lost it in 2013)... So far US companies have said no way....
So tin whiskers coming to a fly by wire system soon....:eek:

Not quite more flight refuelling... and a few other areas where lead is still used in the solder, I do PCB design for a bureau and spend a lot of time away from home as I have to work on site.
Having done this for over 30 years now, I think removing the lead from solder was one of the most misguided, STUPID, idiotic things that the has happened... as well as making electronics unreliable (try getting a lifetime guarantee) it has pushed up carbon emissions with the 20 degree extra heat required to solder assemblies, another well though out over reaction to a non-problem......

Last edited:
Magnetic nanoparticles are used in fluid to inject into bodies, to se how it spreads through the system. MRIscanning. The material of the particles will oxidize and disappear,relatively quickly.
For preserving the particles you want a fluid, that is antioxidizing. Then they will last forever.

I might be being silly here but if it needs a lot less heat wont it unsolder if a component gets hot ?

If your components get to hot an unsolder themselves you've got bigger problems to worry about... we are talking a theoretical 200 deg C soldering temperature.
This material is still being developed, I haven't seen any available on the open market yet. As a solder it will be like current solder pastes, a mix of metals and flux to allow the solder paste to be screen printed on to a board, for through hole components I would imagine solder forms would be the way to go as creating a solder wire would be very problematic.

What I understand from the literature is that metals in nano particle form have much lower melting points than their bulk forms. So, I would presume that once fused, these particles are no longer nano and the melting point will go up to reflect this. In other words, it may become impossible to desolder anything once it is cuantumfused together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.