CSS V2 MTM Monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But you told me about bracing didn't you Al? :)
Maybe I have too much stuffing? Maybe I should try to change the foam to some wool?

Yup we had that chat about bracing..
I would not remove any foam nothing wrong there.
I would try a few things below.
- first move the tweeter crossover to a side wall, leaving the rear wall acoustic foam open for absorption and damping.Leave every other item the same.Listen for a few hrs see what ya think.
- add 2 handfulls of poly behind each driver.You can get a cheap bag of poly at the dollar store or Wally world :) a little more than is shown in the photo

Simple to try

Stuffing a MLTL is different vs. a bass reflex box. With a MLTL you add damping material to fill the volume behind the drivers. With a bass reflex box you add damping materials to just the walls. With a MLTL you effectively add the fill material to the air flow path between the driver and port. In a bass reflex box you keep the air flow path open. Sometimes you add a wad of filler behind the drivers in a BR but that is the norm for MLTLs.

Ok. I was listening to the speakers all the weekend and can share my impression.
The main thing I would like to highlight — these speakers are detailed. These driver have really low distortions, so they do not hide the details. This is taking to account that my kit has cheap capacitors, so it can be better I guess. In the beginning the upper-mid was really thin, but this changed after some break in. Still getting better. The low end is pretty solid. These are the first bookshelf speakers I have, so some stuff is new for me here :). The response is pretty pretty smooth down and then you just missing lower octaves. They are good for most of pop and electronic music. If you like double bass passages, you will probably need a sub.
For me the weak point is the soundstage. They give you some, but not that much as I'd like to. Sound is a bit sticks to the speakers. Side to side is ok, but depth is so so. We will se, maybe it will improve after some more break in time...

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and reflections. How much time do you have on them? What speakers in your experience are you comparing them to? Any similarly priced kits? Can you give us any suggestions on improving the kit?

Bob

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So, as I sad earlier the kit can be put together in one weekend. Took me about this time.
I have listened and have/had many different speaker of different prices. If we are talking about DIY: Troels PMS and OB speakers based on MJK designs (different drivers and configurations).
Well, I found the screws for the tweeters are not that useful because you need square recess bit to tighten them. There were no "big" crimp terminals for the tweeter in the kit.
Another thing, I am not sure with the crossover orders (we discussed it with Al), but he told me that this crossover is a nice compromise in terms of sound quality vs parts cost. I will try something similar to old Triton crossover and if you want can post my thoughts here as well. Thanks for the kit, Bob! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.