• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Crystal RCA Caps (Tweak)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Could you combine it with a cable wrap to at least add some non-specific room acoustic changes with the appropriate amount or leaf size?

häkeln.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Could you combine it with a cable wrap to at least add some non-specific room acoustic changes with the appropriate amount or leaf size?
So people can argue that placing crystals on top of speakers or placing the room accoustic changing cable wrap only make a audible change by changing room accoustics? :) its not that, either this does nothing meaningful or you hear the "crystal effect" imo

YO
You won't even know what I am talking about, so no surprise here, but it's one of the pillars of Science, and was first enunciated by a certain Thomson guy, later knighted thanks to his advancements and knowledge as Lord Kelvin.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Kelvin
The full quote is:
“I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science, whatever the matter may be.” (Thomson Citation1889).

But who was he? :
IMG_20240527_102044.jpg

And what did Lord Kelvin do?
Among other things:
IMG_20240527_102226.jpg

IMG_20240527_102328.jpg

IMG_20240527_102534.jpg

Notice he wrote on Cable theory and one kind of Piezo effect
IMG_20240527_104317.jpg

but no, he did not write on filling connectors with ground rocks.
His fault 🤷🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240527-102512.png
    Screenshot_20240527-102512.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So people can argue that placing crystals on top of speakers or placing the room accoustic changing cable wrap only make a audible change by changing room accoustics?
Yes people can do this.
If the crystals, or leaves, are large enough to change the room acoustics, they will do that. Which in turn would be measurable. Although I think few people would put such huge chunks in their apartment.
You can also place a small candle between the speakers and believe that the stage will improve if you concentrate on it. Matching audiophile candlesticks would be another idea...
Good luck with the crystals

Reactions: 1 user
I detect a boatload of pseudo skeptics have infiltrated.
At least I am really skeptic. If one person says "piezoelectric chrystals connected to a socket of audio gear but not in circuit changes the behaviour of that circuit" then that has the same value as another person saying "No, they don't." When the second person gives reasoning like that the piezoelectric effect won't happen when the chrystal is not in circuit the second person's statement gains weight.
If either of the two does a measurement (spectrum analyser, FFT plot) and shows the results then a proper discussion can be had. If the measurement repeatedly and reproducably show that the chrystal plugs have an effect we can try to figure out why. If they don't it's "told you so".

Reactions: 1 users
I sold crystals to audiophiles for tweny-five years. Results are repeatable, transferrable and predictable. Having said that measurements are important for finding locations where the crystals effects are maximized. Anywhere in the room where sound pressure is > 6 dB above the average level in the room Is a good place to start. Power to the pebble! ✊🏻

He isn't using well designed equipment. He uses single ended gear. And there is always a chance to build appliances so bad, that they react to a "grounding box". Which seemingly the plugs are in mini format.
hmm thats why i use XLR ... and use the UNUSED rca for the crystal caps mate ;)

i dont believe the audible change comes from device reacting "bad" to a plug that just connects to ground lol

guys, look up the pyroelectric, piezoelectric, anti-pyroelectric, anti-piezoelectric when you are into science, then come back so we can talk about audible changes of these effects :)

At least I am really skeptic. If one person says "piezoelectric chrystals connected to a socket of audio gear but not in circuit changes the behaviour of that circuit" then that has the same value as another person saying "No, they don't." When the second person gives reasoning like that the piezoelectric effect won't happen when the chrystal is not in circuit the second person's statement gains weight.
i never said the rca caps change the connected circuit "actively"..

there are some reasons why it might affect sound quality, but fact for me it does, we can theorize much here but please look up pyroelectric, piezoelectric, anti-pyroelectric, anti-piezoelectric first....

Fun Video to see how powerful "a rock" can be :) ...

F You, Steve!

hmm thats why i use XLR ... and use the UNUSED rca for the crystal caps mate ;)

i dont believe the audible change comes from device reacting "bad" to a plug that just connects to ground lol

guys, look up the pyroelectric, piezoelectric, anti-pyroelectric, anti-piezoelectric when you are into science, then come back so we can talk about audible changes of these effects :)
Reading about it is not enough, just show proof, such as measurements showing the real World "rocks-in-an-RCA plug" effect.
Easy to do test you have been running away from since day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.