Crown DC300A Please Vote!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cobber?

quasi said:
G'day cobber

Do both... do both....do both

Then tell us about the differences.....

Oorroooo

I had to google that one. ;)

"The Australian Idiomcobber n. A male friend, a mate, pal. cockatoo n. slang A look-out posted at an illegal gathering, (in particular when gambling, esp. two-up) to warn of the ...
cooperfamily.ourfamily.com/idiom.htm - 36k - Cached - Similar pages "

I think both would overwhelm me, the output boards need to remain different so I wouldn't be able to do the "swap" the driver board for a quasi. Great idea! It's got to be one or the other and yes it breaks my heart. I want to build them all. :clown:

Shawn.

Re: Re: Wrap up time

Brett said:
That and a Phase Linear 400 are the worst amps I've ever heard (domestically).

Yeah but so many say restore it? Go figure? :xeye: I think I am heading down a road that merges the two approaches. I would like to dispell the lendendary bad sound that so many hear. Even I have compared it as shrill sounding.

Please remember, if I don't get it good for "domestic" it will return to a club or a band. The latter seems to please many people just the same. And I can always tweak the output boards and install a high quality QUASI driver board and voila, we have audiophile in an industrial look! ;)

I want to get to work on the op amp section of this boat anchor and I am seeking the input of the forum. The thread for that IS HERE.

10-4 Good Buddy,

Shawn.

Re: Re: Wrap up time

tomtt said:
``````````````````````````````````````

a vote for 'both styles'

My prediction says it would end:

25% nay
75% yay

I'll set up the vote (or any other votes you folks want around here) but it would take the entire Canadian winter to get two DC300's done?

Shawn.

P.S. I went sniffing around today for another DC300A. I'm putting out my feelers? :D

If you must punish yourself by working on that boat anchor please do something worthy of your time. There is enough room to rewire and install some Nelson Pass A40 boards.

Years ago DJK and I modified some A40 boards in installed them in a SAE 2400 amplifier. It put out a good 200 watts into an 8 ohm load and sounded quite good. There is plenty of room for a hearty output stage. Granted I don't believe you would see 200 watts out of the Clown because of its lower B+ it would still be worthwhile.

Just my .02

Ghosts

burnedfingers said:
If you must punish yourself by working on that boat anchor please do something worthy of your time. There is enough room to rewire and install some Nelson Pass A40 boards.

Years ago DJK and I modified some A40 boards in installed them in a SAE 2400 amplifier. It put out a good 200 watts into an 8 ohm load and sounded quite good. There is plenty of room for a hearty output stage. Granted I don't believe you would see 200 watts out of the Clown because of its lower B+ it would still be worthwhile.

Just my .02

I've got Nelson on the brain man but I'm holding back. I'm over that wall checking it out time to time. How d'ya think I found the DIY?

You stir old ghosts mentioning the SAE amp. I had one back in 1990 and it was my first major amp modification. It was totally fried and I rebuilt the output section to suit my budget and parts! I kept the manual for it and I pulled it out a week or so ago. I was going to scan and post it and now I can't find it. I think I threw it in the garbage by mistake, I can't find it anywhere. SAE; big case and it had a fan on the top in the back somewhere?

I gave the modded SAE amp away when I moved to Toronto. (1992)

Shawn.

Had to shut her Down

The poll got hacked. :scratch:
By whom?
Was it the mysterious person to send me an email tonight?
A DIY Audio person who I upset with my profound words?

I'll have to hire a security expert? :xeye: People can be malicious on the net.

Shawn.

Damn those tube lovers, they are hard core!

DC300A POLL FINAL

quasi said:
Hi Shawn, Your link in poset #31 is to the wrong amp. Cheers

Darn it. Can you see the edit marks on that post at the bottom? Sorry I was trying to put the right link on it and messed it up. Perhaps a mod can edit it for book keeping purposes?

Originally posted by burnedfingers
I sent you an email to see if I could send you the SAE schematic. I sent it only because the size of the PDF file was larger than what this site will allow.

Thanks, I'm checking it out right now. If I find the manual I'll scan & post.

No, I didn't hack the site. [/B]
:checked: All is well.

anatech said:
Hi Shawn, Hit the older service shops and ask fr it in non-working condition. You might be amazed at what you might find.
-Chris

I contacted the local authorized service people for Crown, the folks there are very nice and they told me it is very rare to see such an amp as people would rather toss them into the garbage than pay a bunch to get them fixed.

Just think of all the tube amps and valves that ended in the scrap yard or land fill over the years. Such a shame?

I'm on the hunt at the used music shops and pawn dealers, I'll find another one.

THE FINAL POLL RESULTS ARE UP That's close to how it looked before the hack. I wish I took a screen shot of the hack, it showed "Boat Anchor at The Lake" winning with margin! In the end I see it as 50/50. Lots of fun and a dramatic ending!

Ta,

Shawn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.