Crown Com-Tech 400 Dead Channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dirkwright,

I took a few minutes and installed the LME49740's into my Comtech. I noticed one thing right off the bat... I'm getting a noticeable higher-pitched (oscillating?) hum through my 2 speakers at idle. The hum continues in the background even when I am playing music.

Other than that, the audio doesn't seem to be as clean. It seems like there is more distortion in the sound, however I cannot verify this for sure. The amp isn't indicating excessive distortion on it's distortion meters, so if there is any it's still relatively small. I will say that sound quality isn't noticeably any better than it was with the MC33079's.

If you would like me to run any tests with my multimeter, please let me know. I will leave the LME49740's in my Comtech for now until you get a chance to reply.

Thanks

I'd put the MC33079's back in there. Without instruments, you really can't tell much of what's going on with the amp.

I believe the patent on the CT 400 schematic I have expired a few months ago. It should be easy enough to post here for safe keeping! :)

I'm happy that people are still repairing these old com-techs. Mine's still humming along happily even with the idle current boosted 30%.

Btw, I bought a Philips PM3215 with original schematic and service manual. Not an amazing oscilloscope, however it's definitely worth buying one to diagnose audio equipment (as dirk pointed out).

Attachments

• J0631-2_D.pdf
    921 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
So I guess there seems to be some interest and expertise for these amps. I have 2 that I got when someone was cleaning out a school auditorium's closet. They both "work" but I'm sure they need some attention. The biggest usability problem is a very loud pop (speaker threatening loud) when is shut them down. I haven't opened them up and it works to simply unplug the speakers before powering down, but I'm not going to leave it that way.

Any ideas to point me in the right direction before I start?

Mind you, I haven't done any diagnostic work yet, so sorry in advance for being a little lame - I will post back after I've opened them and done some more diagnostics.

P.s. - I've heard (and experienced) that the interconnections frequently are a source of problems, so simply pulling them all, cleaning them and re-seating them many times fixes problems. That will be my first step (before even measuring anything). Of course any insight into common problems will be helpful also.

Tech Biker - I assume you mean you increased bias. To what point and why? I assume your goal was more class A? Have you noticed a big improvement?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.