Crossover wire gauge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Even in the higher spec B&Ws they still use standard cable and push on blade terminals.

You are unlikely to hear any benfit with posh cabling in low-end desktop speakers.

You are acting like I am not hearing anything. That its all placebo effect. I got excited about litz because I did hear a difference that I liked. Just like I got excited about tubes when I heard their difference when compared to the 70's solid state units at that time. Just like many of the higher end cable manufacturers offer some sort of litz, or semi litz, with their cables. If you can not hear any difference between zip wire and litz? You won't hear me either, I guess.

You are acting like I am not hearing anything. That its all placebo effect. I got excited about litz because I did hear a difference that I liked. Just like I got excited about tubes when I heard their difference when compared to the 70's solid state units at that time. Just like many of the higher end cable manufacturers offer some sort of litz, or semi litz, with their cables. If you can not hear any difference between zip wire and litz? You won't hear me either, I guess.

Consider the test done with audiophiles in a blind test between Monster Cable and coat hangers soldered together to a high end speaker.

Monster Cable vs. Coat Hangers

Not one listener was able to tell the difference between the two.

Since the wiring inside speaker is generally much shorter than the interconnecting speaker wires that drive it, then if you can't distinguish between a coat hanger and quality speaker wire running to the speaker, then there is no way a shorter run of any type of wire will be audible.

Personally, I would recommend using zip cable and save your money for something you can hear, like a new CD or LP.

B&W do make some lovely speakers.

My 683's are beautiful.

Those posted were awful speakers.

Attachments

• DSIR0164.JPG
    DSIR0164.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 165
I used to work for them so I have an affinity to them.

They can be right pigs to drive though, their impedance curves are pretty demanding.

I use a Class A Aleph 4 which copes very well.

As for the sound, well that is and always will be very subjective.

Never had a Class A amp.....I want one and have been looking for several years for the right $$$ choice.

btw, they can sound amazing no doubt about that!!! Enough OT on that ;) The speakers in this thread are crap IMO and I can not think of a remotely good reason to bother re-wiring XOs. The OP has to learn what really matters in changing SQ.

I have been down that "you need to try these wires to improve your XOs", I have had a company send me wires to just test claiming they will improve any XO. Its a waste of time and money more importantly its a completely waste of logic and thought.

Last edited:
Consider the test done with audiophiles in a blind test between Monster Cable and coat hangers soldered together to a high end speaker.

Monster Cable vs. Coat Hangers

Not one listener was able to tell the difference between the two.

Matter of fact it was Monster Cable that I got rid of. Heard an obvious difference. So what does that mean?

You are arguing with me about what I do know. Its you who don't know.

Maybe? You can not know? After all, some people are colored blind. Maybe, there is a phenomena in audio we have yet to discover, as well.

I simply came here to determine a certain wire gauge. You want to argue about litz? Feel free to.

I did not pay a lot for my litz. I bought raw litz in bulk from an audio repair/modifier I knew. Cost me less than the Monster cable. Standard zip wire was always buzzy in the high end. Monster tended to smooth that effect but caused a bloating on my system. With litz everything had a much better focus. Sounded a bit dull in the high end because that buzz was gone in the high end that many simply take for granted.

Last edited:
If you want to put Litz wire in those awful speakers carry on.

I would go out and look for a pair of B&W 602s3's. They can be had for less than £100 on E-Bay. They will diminish your cheap B&Ws into submission.

If you want something smaller try the 601s.

I am listening nearfield. My need is quite different. The Rock Solids wired with litz do a very good job for that.

If I wanted something on stands, at a distance? I would listen to my Sequerra Mk7's.

Never heard of them.

Dick Sequerra was (and still is) very well know in audiophile circles in the states a while back. He designed Marantz tube equipment which have become classics with audiophiles.

The speakers I have are actually Met 7 - MK2's. After leaving Marantz, Sequerra marketed direct to customer. He was one of the first to offer marketing direct. He had a following of audiophiles pretty much by word of mouth and by having his products respectfully reviewed in Absolute Sound and Stereophile.

Here is a review I just found. Sequerra MET-7 Mk2 dynamic speaker

Matter of fact it was Monster Cable that I got rid of. Heard an obvious difference. So what does that mean?

You are arguing with me about what I do know. Its you who don't know.

Maybe? You can not know? After all, some people are colored blind. Maybe, there is a phenomena in audio we have yet to discover, as well.

I simply came here to determine a certain wire gauge. You want to argue about litz? Feel free to.

I did not pay a lot for my litz. I bought raw litz in bulk from an audio repair/modifier I knew. Cost me less than the Monster cable. Standard zip wire was always buzzy in the high end. Monster tended to smooth that effect but caused a bloating on my system. With litz everything had a much better focus. Sounded a bit dull in the high end because that buzz was gone in the high end that many simply take for granted.

Whatever. Your money.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.