critique my amp layout please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BWRX said:
So you've got the bridge rectifiers followed by only 10uF of capacitance in one case, a power cord to transfer the unregulated DC to the amp case, and then 1500uF caps on each rail at the amp. Definitely try more capacitance directly after the bridge rectifier. I use 20,000uF after my rectifiers, a 4' run of cable to regulators which have 3900uF at the input, then some 120uF caps right next to the chip. No lack of bass and no overemphasized highs. Although my configuration is different from the standard NIGC, the power supply is still critical.

what kind of setup do you have there? are you using group buy pcb's or p2p? Do you have any links to pics or a blog or anything? I'd be interested in seeing what you have going. Thanks for the suggestions. I think my next steps are to try some different speakers and then try some different components as you described, thanks to you I have some values to play with.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The schematic and pictures of my amp can be found here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1108371#post1108371

I made a simplified version of the schematic on perfboard but have some PCBs being made that follow the schematic.

The first thing I'd add to your setup are large electrolytic caps after the rectifer on each rail. Anything from 1000uF (the least I'd recommend using) to 10,000uF (borderline overkill) will be quite an improvement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.