• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Crescendo ampilifier elektor1982

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• crescendo82f.png
    crescendo82f.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,154
Maybe P1 is dirty/corroded and so bias current might not be set properly.
Check bias current and if you set it up turn the pot slightly forth and back (that sometimes is enough to "clean" the contacts;
if it´s too bad and current alters, change it)

Otherwise check all voltages and report back the ones that are not at least similar to the original schematic.

I can set bias current without problem and the voltages are near that one in the schematics. Is it possible to be some kind of power supply isue? I have two 300W toroids one above other. It is difficult to find a error for me because I don't have an osciloscope.

And danne_linkinpar, sorry I don't have any pictures.

refosk said:
I had built the original crescendo from 1982, it works fine with low volumes but when I volume it up I get strange distorsions heard like brp,brp,brp when bass is playing. And this bass distorsions are very loud. Can someone sugest me what to look for?

I had just the same experience as you. Only with high power bass music.
You should try something, touch the housing of the MOSFET's with your hand, when you hear these distortions. When I did that, the distortion dissappeared. --> this was oscillation caused by the wirewound source resistors.

Greetz
Ben

Hi Bensen,
when you touch the FET case and the oscillation stops, what electical mechanism is stopping the oscillation.

Can this be used as an alternative form of stability improvement?

I have seen reference to adding a cap from FET heatsink to ?either ground? or ? Vrail? to cure an oscilation. Would this be the same problem?

AndrewT said:
Hi Bensen,
when you touch the FET case and the oscillation stops, what electical mechanism is stopping the oscillation.

Can this be used as an alternative form of stability improvement?

I have seen reference to adding a cap from FET heatsink to ?either ground? or ? Vrail? to cure an oscilation. Would this be the same problem?

electical mechanism. I have no idea?

That could be also a cure to stop oscillation, but I never tried it. And I don't have problems anymore.

danne_linkinpar said:
How big current do you use to the mosfets?

I think it is 100mA/mosfet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.