Creek 5350MK2 (5350-II 5350 Mark 2 5350-MK2) - circuit descr. arround Q12a wanted

Fig. 5 simulation results?

Alex:

Has anyone posted simulation results for Fig. 5 in your paper "N-channel D-MOSFET output stage with improved linearity"?

I am considering making mods to a Creek 5350SE, and it would be useful to know how much improvement might be obtained.

Am I correct that M5 and M6 should be the same as M4, which is a VP3310A in the case of the 5350SE?

Alex:

Has anyone posted simulation results for Fig. 5 in your paper "N-channel D-MOSFET output stage with improved linearity"?

AFAIK, no .

I am considering making mods to a Creek 5350SE, and it would be useful to know how much improvement might be obtained.

I would advise against it. That kind of a circuit change can not be done without a thorough testing, including in overload conditions etc. 5350SE is a well-polished circuit and instead of an improvement you may get a potentially unreliable amplifier.

Am I correct that M5 and M6 should be the same as M4, which is a VP3310A in the case of the 5350SE?

Not quite. M6 - yes, however M5 there needs to mimic Vth of output devices, so it should be a "Logic Level" device. I have to say that I did not try these configurations in practice. In a real world implementation there are several potential problems there - protecting the gate of M5 in case of an overload, for instance.

Alex

Misbehaving 5350..help required.

Hi Alex,
I have a 5350-II . A couple of days ago ( after several months of disuse ) I switched on the 5350 and the protection circuit seems to switch on an off every few seconds. Sometimes it comes on ( LED becomes green) and it plays normally. On loud transients it shuts off and then comes on again after a short break.
However the next day it came on normally for about 10 minutes and then started cycling again at about once every second.
What could be wrong ? Nothing appears burnt or damaged on the circuit board.
Where can I check the output signal on the pcb for either channel for possible dc offset.
I noticed that only one relay is flipping on and off. The other relay does not function at all ( possible dc offset ?).
Thanks,
Ashok.

I did some probing around and found out a few things.

1. There is no dc offset on the output on either channel. ( DC supply is about + / - 50 V )

2.The two relays handle two sets of speakers. So both work only if speakers A+B are selected. Should have checked this long ago.

3. When I pull of the connector going to the LED on the front panel the relay stays on and does not toggle anymore !

4. When I switch on with the LED connector in place the relay will toggle on and off. If I now remove the connector the toggling will stop and the relay stays on. Now if I put back the connector the relay stays on with no problem.

5. This works the same way if speaker A or speaker B is selected.

6. When I select speaker A+B , this does not work. That is toggling stops when I remove the LED connector but resumes toggling when I put back the connector.

7. Note that on loud transients the relay used to switch off momentarily ( when the amp was working just prior to this problem being noticed ). Never happened on earlier listening sessions many months ago.

Looks like a relay control problem.
Anyone have the circuit diagram of the relay control circuit ( for the 5350 SE)?
Thanks.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Which model though?
Ashok, you called it both mk II and SE. Presumably you meant 5350 mkII SE and since that's the only easily found schematic, it's here: CREEK 5350 MK II Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

There is a 5350, 5350 mkII, 5350 se, 5350 se mkII then there is 5350 evolution, mkII etc and mixture of those too - but no free service manuals to suit, apart from Alex's website details.
The Creek practice of revisiting and revising old models but retaining the model number despite considerable changes, is a disaster for anyone trying to properly ID or understand their products. :headbash:

Yes 5350 mkII SE .
Bigun, you should discuss it with X-pro himself . He's on this forum.
While the amp is good, the input switch ( Alps?) suffers from contact degradation ! I don't understand why. It doesn't make positive contact unless I fiddle with it a lot. Some contact spray helped for a while after which it becomes erratic again. Now I'm thinking of hard wiring one input socket to get away from this problem. That would of course make it a single input power amp !

Yes 5350 mkII SE .
Bigun, you should discuss it with X-pro himself . He's on this forum.
While the amp is good, the input switch ( Alps?) suffers from contact degradation ! I don't understand why. It doesn't make positive contact unless I fiddle with it a lot. Some contact spray helped for a while after which it becomes erratic again. Now I'm thinking of hard wiring one input socket to get away from this problem. That would of course make it a single input power amp !
check out this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...sues-input-select-e-g-onkyo-yamaha-creek.html

Creek is a fantastic piece of equipment, please forgive a little my ignorance, I am asking what are the realizations in audio since the quad405 creek with 'tube like' soft clipping,

Creek is launching the 100A after the 50A success. I haven't heard Alex's amplifier nor the 50A and 100A nor quad405. With companies like Esoteric 'launching' class D amplifiers I wonder.. is it a regression to primitive sound? Are beasts like the sony ES class hold up with such amps?

I am trying to understand the audio market and if people find classD amps sound so good why bother making Class A amps.

*(edit: also, I wonder why Creek let go the Destiny2 amp, such a crazy good amplifier besides the relays*/volume control* (personal preference*))

Last edited:
However I keep having problems with the Alps input selector. Intermittent connection which is not usually solvable by rocking the knob or contact cleaners. I read that this is a problem area in this amp. One user said the whole switch has to be dismantled to clean it and even that isn't a long term solution. I didn't expect such things to happen with an Alps switch ! I'd guess a new switch of this type is no longer available.

Thanks for letting me know. I am looking for new 'benchmark' solid state amplifiers so I can compare my 'tuby' amps too. So far my last two 150watts amps had very bad distortions. (one of them sounded so bad I didn't bother checking the distortions, and it is a very, very well reputed amplifier... gees). My last tube amp has more distortion than the ss but it is sounding super clear because of the low Z supply... though it sounds a little bit solid state (distortion 0.2% 1 watt) maybe also caused by the cathode followers. I never bought the creek destiny because of price and bad timing but still looking for a good amp from that manufacturer.

Last edited:
Let me suggest something really controversial. You want a reference amp that sounds good by itself. Your compared amp can be above or below the reference amp. The average listening level is all that you need to determine good sound. That would make the ref amp requirement just about 10 watts on transients.
Clipping behaviour isn't something you want to 'compare' !

Build a GOOD LM1875 chip amp with good power supply and good parts.Make sure the ground paths are VERY good. Except the power transformer, all power supply parts to be on board. After hearing several amps in the K$ range ( with much more power of course) , this amp is a gem that's not been given much attention. Build one. It's not expensive and great to have around ! You won't regret it ! Yes, it's limited to about 20 watts rms per channel !