Crazy idea? Using Boeing 787 engine technology for driver hole cut-out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know if it's crazy but I notice at the back of Boeing 787 engine, there are a series of half-moon cut out. My guess is it reduces air turbulence when air exists the nozzle. The same technique is being used in the new 737 MAX engines and the new 747 as well.
So I was wondering if you can do the same for your woofer hole cut out? Most people probably already chamfer the back side of the cut out. Maybe this will help as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'd imagine that any such resonant chamber created in the baffle would be far less of an issue in the frequency range at which a woofer / sub would be operating than say for a 3" light weight cone full range driver, which generally have very shallow baskets and tight clearances to mounting hole. Designing the side and back walls to "deal with" / scatter reflected waves would likely yield more measurable and audible improvements.

I don't know if it's crazy but I notice at the back of Boeing 787 engine, there are a series of half-moon cut out. My guess is it reduces air turbulence when air exists the nozzle. The same technique is being used in the new 737 MAX engines and the new 747 as well.
So I was wondering if you can do the same for your woofer hole cut out? Most people probably already chamfer the back side of the cut out. Maybe this will help as well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Check out my post history, I've build something like you describe. Works very well.

The idea behind those chevrons on the Boeing is to break the coherence of vortex shedding, which is a powerful mechanism to generate (unwanted) sound. Less coherence means less noise. The same happens at car antennas, which use a helix wound around them to break up the coherence.

Air velocities in loudspeaker applications are too low for vortex shedding to happen.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.