crazy idea for chassis material?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys!

I'm not sure if this is insanity or not, but I'm thinking about rebuilding my gainclone amp. I was thinking of what materials I could use for the case and I thought why not cut up something that's a little easier to work with than metal?

Would it be crazy to chop up a plastic cutting board and make a chassis out of that? Or maybe use a tupperware container as a chassis?

Is there a reason that it wouldn't be electrically safe to do? I really don't care how it looks externally as long as it sounds good. I figure I can ground it properly to mains earth without worrying about a chassis ground since the chassis is nonconductive.

Is this a terrible idea?

Using plastic, such as a cutting board or a tupperware container shouldn't be an issue in regards to electrical safety, as plastic is non-conductive. The only thing you need to watch out for is radiated noise getting into the circuit you are housing. A metal enclosure offers the advantage of providing a certain amount of shielding to radiated electrical and magnetic noise. This level of shielding does depend upon the type of metal used however, among other things.

Peace,

Dave

Is there a reason that it wouldn't be electrically safe to do? I really don't care how it looks externally as long as it sounds good. I figure I can ground it properly to mains earth without worrying about a chassis ground since the chassis is nonconductive.

Be careful of the thermal rating. Most of those cutting boards are polyethylene, which has a heat deflection temp in the 70-90°C range and melts at 100°C.

Safety first!;)

Definitely! I really don't want to turn my house into one giant weenie roast! ;)

But on the other hand, Dave (planet10) posted: "I don't see why not. No more dangerous than the wooden boxes or plastic project cases people use." Wood is flammable, as are many/most plastics, and I frequently see examples of it being used.

I was hoping to use wood (as one material) in a project case. Since there is a possibility of letting the smoke out of something, I wasn't sure if I should provide some minimum distance between the circuit and the wood, line the wood with metal (aluminum), eliminate it all together, or just not worry about it. Since I'm new at this, I don't have the experience to know which risks are real and which are merely theoretical. I asked my question in this thread because it might also apply to dasein's use of plastic.

Looney

For an experienced DIY person, sure plastics are an option, as well as wood.

....but really, if the guy whom posted the initial question, really needs to ask such a question, I'd say metal and nothing else.

As SY pointed out, PP and PE which are the materials used for such a board, are melting around 100 to 120C, and makes some rather big changes in shape, already like 10 to 20C earlier.
That is however not the No.1 reason not to use that type of plastics, but rather the fire hazard it brings to the table. If you take a look at a project box, the kind that is actually made for the purpose, you will find that they are mostly made of ABS, which is self extinguishing, quite contrary to PP or PE.

So plastics, yes if you can't live without, and you KNOW! what you're doing, and KNOW! which type of plastic you're dealing with, and know the properties of the respective material.

If you can't say yes, to the above, stay clear, it's an accident waiting to happen.

Magura :)

I can back up SY and Magura regarding the problem with plastics not holding their shape. A couple months into my first job (as a chemist), my boss was showing me "the ropes." He had isolated a product and was going to pour it into a LDPE bottle to save. I remember asking "isn't that a little hot?" (It was >100C.) "No it's fine" was the answer. He transferred the product, and we both watched the 100 mL bottle slowly transform itself into a warped little 15 mL bottle, disgorging its contents onto the lab bench all the while. It was all I could do to not laugh my (ahem) "fanny" off. :rofl: The good news was that I didn't have to suffer any more "training". :rofl:

You don't want this to happen to your amp, especially when it's plugged in.

You see, this wasn't completely OT. :D

Looney (and still laughing) :rofl:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.