Crazy audiomobile amp rack

That 8-track is wonderful. I had a KP-500 cassette deck.
I went for the non radio model cause I already have radio in dash so no need BUT..... NO REGRETS.... I did a Pre Amp tap and signal into a VIDEO input in back my Kenwood deck.... KILLER HEADROOM on the BASS knob.... It can overdrive them woofers to rumbling...LOL..... I have a Service Manual coming and I have a new BELT so soon... out it comes again..... Tired of listening to only HALF the music here.... 8 tracks ruled...BDBD/2021

I been really sick/sore and have been in the bed. I managed to come around a week ago so here I am again. I repaired to FULLY OPERATING (2) SP-300 AUDIOMOBILE EQ systems. I own three. The THIRD one needs a EQ section go over. I need to either FIND another EQ for parts OR rip the EQ slider section apart and inspect them sliders. I have found the metal connectors can become loose from plastic degradation. I reinstalled one slider repaierd with SUPER GLUE and thus far the balance control is back to WORKING. I wont mess with it.... Balance control in the days of ONE MONO CHANNEL radios in peoples dashboards..... The SP-300 is a 1975 construct. 30 volt operation with true 5 volt PREAMP OUTPUT.... Only thing that was better was the Venerable Zapco EQ slab that was so huge and such that mounting it in the cabin areas proved somewhat prohibitive. WELL...... I will be ripping apart them SLIDERS... see what I can see and fix and HOPE it too comes back to life. At this point the BASS slider seems to operate, ONE of the MID sliders channels worked and NO HIGHS slider signal at all so.... Looking like them two sliders will be seeing the light of day soon. Still messing around with wayyyyyyyy old gear.... because I CAN. Aloha! BDBD/2023

in the trunk of my 67 Firebird... The SP-300 fits perfectly into the ashtray area of any GM car of them times and THATS why the AM SP-300 was so popular.... ya could HIDE it. BEST 3 band EQ ever constructed for an automobile environment?... the SP-300 by AUDIOMOBILE. 3 SA-1000's power my HIGHS/MIDS and I have 2 700 watt Class D amps of modern origin to power the 2 10 inch bass speakers in the cabinet all built in by yours truly. My Firebird has been the recipiant of MANY soundsystems starting in 1981. STILL messing with it in 2023 and no end in sight. I intend to install 3 ADS 2001 160 watt amplifiers into my Firebird eventually. I actually got them all to WORK so.... SOON, OUT with these AUDIOMOBILE AMPS.... and in with them ADS creations... OLDEST SCHOOL kiddies.... Hoo Hah! BDBD/2023

Attachments

• AM 1.JPG
    AM 1.JPG
    654 KB · Views: 41
  • AM2.JPG
    AM2.JPG
    377 KB · Views: 44
  • AM3.JPG
    AM3.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 42
  • SP 300.jpg
    SP 300.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 48
Hi all,

I'm still trying to figure out what the inputs are to an Automobile SA-400 amp is. There is a 6-pin DIN input and I need to come up with a way to feed it via RCA cables. What are the pin assignments? I'm a new member and apparently I don't have privileges to send private messages. Thanks in advance

Reactions: 1 user
as the six pin goes CENTER pin is 12v turn on, The TOP or BOTTOM middle (depends how they mounted) is SIGNAL NEGATIVE and the two beside it on the left and right are + INPUT SIGNAL. 3 wires and a 12volt remote. Test it on the bench... make sure it works. Heres a video.... Info is in there.... OK BDBD/2023

Hey there MM.... chiming in again in regards to them DIN inputs. I tell ya, seems like every stage of the operation is a little different and for strange/not apparent reasons known only to the engineers of them times building these products. DIN is a German STANDARD so theres ROYALTIES involved in regards to USE etc that for the most part dictated USE for a long while.

THEN CAME AUTOSOUND!!!!!!!!!!......LOL..... Man, talk about STEPPING on TOES. LOL. As STANDARDS went.... they went OUT the DOOR. Seems like EVERY product created in AUTOSOUND had its OWN PROPRIETORIAL DIN LAYOUT. PLUGS even... Pioneer and Craig come to mind... One product would use a 5 pin DIN and others a 6 pin. MY GOODNESS. I LIVED through that nightmare period. I became very good at soldering up cables for $$$$... It was one of the ways installers made money in the days. I will do a FOLLOW UP VIDEO on the AUDIOMOBILE DIN pins etc, on the AMPS, EQ, as well as CROSSOVER and chart the wiring etc for history sake. Working on that now.

I have NOTICED on the SA-1000 amp, 6 PIN din... the TOP pin its NOT used, MIDDLE pin is BLUE turn on 12v, then + and - input in that order on Right and Left pins. GROUND INPUT is the BOTTOM 2 pins and the + INPUTS are the "center outer" pins.

BUT as I was going over my AM-3 rack I NOTICED on the SA-450, a WHITE WIRE on the TOP center pin thats NOT USED in the SA-1000. The WHITE WIRE is a REFERENCE GROUND to the Head Unit in the Audiomobile wiring scheme SO I am SUPPOSING that the EARLIER GEAR (SA-1000/2000) did NOT use the TOP CENTER PIN at all, and in LATER creations there was a NEED for that ground reference circuit so engineers added it to the scheme of things in the later product.

CONFUSING huh?.... As the SA- 450 DIN INPUT goes as of THIS writing... Looking at the DIN, TOP CENTER pin is white Reference ground to head unit chassis, NEXT 2 pins L&R are the L&R + inputs, and the BOTTOM two pins are the INPUT SIGNAL - GROUNDS negative. CENTER PIN is Blue Turn on. I will be posting a VIDEO that goes into detail on this subject. SOON.

I am UNSURE if that TOP CENTER PIN can be used as an INPUT ground but I have a sneaky suspicion that it indeed does. In the MEAN time, as DESIGN goes, the WHITE wire was utilized as a reference ground to HEAD UNIT for ground loop issues etc. Really all thats about I THINK. May not even be used in the AM-3 RACK system I have here.

I have yet to work on the 8 pin DIN variety as of this typing but soon... I have a SA-1200 here that needs help... soon.
HOPE THIS HELPS!

ALOHA/BDBD/2023