CPU heatsinks in my Zen Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ve also played with the idea of cooling my SOZ-amp with water. I have a watrecooling in my PC ... BUT there is one problem. For most of the pumps that are commonly used for watercooling (if not all), the water temperature has to be kept under 38 Celcius (which is challenging with a SOZ).

But if I remember correctly the reserator is a "pump-less" solution so it should not be a problem.

[edit] : ooops , there is a pump in the rezerator ... so be careful with the water temp. I guess, it s behavior with high temperature is similar to MOSFET ... will do but lifetime will probably be reduced ...

Akira:

That really is a problem if you are using aqurium pumps etc. They are not meant to be used in colling purposes at all. Better solution would be for example a central heating pump or pump that has been designed to be used in a cooling solution. I'm using Grunfoss UP14-15B for cooling my computer. This pump can handle anything from 2 degrees celsius to 98 degrees celsius. These things are a little bit expensive when compared to eheim's pumps, but they will last at least ten to fifteen years in use. And I think that mostly important thing is that these are very quiet pumps. Hardly audible at all.

A little airflow does wonders.

I'm getting back into building my zen v2 which got back burnered for about a year after I moved. I had originally built it on the bench (no case) with a pair of the cheezy heatsinks that came with amd athlon processors. I think it was an 1800+ I ran two of them, one for each channel, and put both the current source/amplifying transistor on the same one.

It worked just great, not even really warm to the touch until one day when I accidentally disconnected the fans just before leaving the room to get a drink. Came back 5-10 minutes later, and had to shut it off, wait 10 minutes, peel the heatsink out of the hotmelt glue sticks I was using to temporarily hold them up, and re-solder the wires to the mosfets which had gotten hot enough to desolder themselves. Amazingly enough they still worked, but at some point my cheap sound card I was using for a test source got killed.

so IF you're going to use cpu coolers make sure the fans never stop.

As for your case airflow/noise concerns, my biggest recomendations for reducing noise is to reduce the restriction on the airflow immediately near the fan.

the cheap punched steel grills that are cut in many cases cause a lot of restriction which leads to a lot of noise. cutting them out, and replacing with a thin wire fan grill will help. No grill even quieter, but will be hard on the fingers when you get stupid with it.

Another thing that can help a lot keeping noise down is to move the fan grill away from the fan with some kind of duct. You still want it to seal, not like the cheap "fan silencers" you can buy, but if you can give an inch or so of clearance it will reduce the airspeed through the grill, and quiet things down considerably.

An excellent trick a friend of mine came up with is to get some dead fans the same size as the ones you're using, and cut the fan part out, so only the frame remains. You can stack the empty fan ring between the fan and the grill. (dremel tool works well)

Myself, I think I want to lose the fans so I'm on the hunt for a large heatsink, although that's a subject for another thread.

ttfn.

Pukki said:
Better solution would be for example a central heating pump or pump that has been designed to be used in a cooling solution. I'm using Grunfoss UP14-15B for cooling my computer.

Are you using a flow regulation to controll CPU temperature ?
Other question : what are you using as heat exchanger ?

How about hooking a GrundFoss pump up to a swimming pool ?
I just happen to have one quite near.

Attachments

• cool it.jpg
    cool it.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 681
jacco vermeulen said:

How about hooking a GrundFoss pump up to a swimming pool ?
I just happen to have one quite near.

If you drill down about 200 feet (60m) you can avail yourself of the nearly constant 55 degree fahrenheit temperature of the earth -- use the surplus heat from your pass lab to drive a heat pump/exchanger -- this way you can both cool in the summer and warm your house at the same time. in fact, if you drill two holes and sink two 1" copper lines filled with schnapps you can utilize the temperature gradient to drive a generator turbine to power all your gear.

Yeah. I just drilled and tapped them. There's no flat surface on the top of most sinks where you could put the nut.

Possibly if you drilled it right in the centre where the clip normally sits.

my next project is going to be to see if I can weld together a couple dozen athlon64 or P4 heatsinks into one big one, and run it without fans.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.