CPU coolers for chipamps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> guitar amps have to be able to reproduce lots of high transients but the over all average is not too high. Is this correct ?

No. For some distorted guitar styles, the average can be VERY high. Much higher than any hi-fi. Higher even than Pure Sine, the usual audio reference.

Real distorted guitar is likely to average near the Maximum Dissipation zone of a class B amplifier, which happens somewhere below Full Sine Power. While this may not last a full song, I have heard multi-line many-second passages up in this range. And I avoid the real head-banger MAX-distortion bands.

From personal experience, the worst amp/speaker destroyers are Punk bands.

Thrash/Doom/etc. heavy players do want an certain tone after all and try to get it, are gear conscious and when amp gets into a muddy/boring ball of noise they back down, re-equalize, etc.
And solos , even if some are long, have definite beginning and end, even for the most unbearably egocentric player.

But Punk players?
They do not know what the word tone means, have no use for solos, don´t care about anything, just turn a regular amp (no High Gain there) knobs to 10, all of them, and slam away non stop for hours.

Mind you, I LIKE Punk Music, my observation comes from actual field experience.

Well well well.
I was not aware that guitars can and do require such high power levels. But I do understand the explanation and it must go fpr quite a few other things as well.

Concerning Punk, Heavy Metal and other such I have to say that personally I like lots of music but not noise :) and these things wont come through my speakers for sure .

On the other hand both the amps and speakers have to be up to handle and withstand whatever is thrown at them and do it precise and without any avoidable distortion.

It has to be built to the highest standard within my possibilities. So thanks for your info. Michael

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Dick Dale blew-up Fender's big amplifiers. Dale "invented" the 80-100 Watt Fenders and the JBL guitar-speakers which would survive his playing. "thick, clearly defined tones" at "previously undreamed-of volumes." Dale was LOUD long before Punk.

Neil Young works his little DeLuxe on the ratty edge of grid-blocking, the *most* the tubes can do. Not for hours at a time, but in some songs some solos work MAX near 50% of the time (he also knows when to let-off, usually).

Yes, I have seen other *musicians* with 100W amps making 10 Watts of sound. I recall Ted Dunbar working his Twin Reverb down at the threshold of audibility, and rarely throwing a 40W accent chord.

Thank you PRR.

Making my point for me. One does not only have to build things to be as perfect as possible concerning distortion and clean precise sound. If things are to last one has to build them for about ten times the power which one wants to really listen to.

I have always known that one needs a good margin what I didnt realize is just how big.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.