Covers that are arguably better than the originals:

"Common People" by William Shatner

The original was damn good, as was much of the album it came off.
I have to say WS’s version is a bit robotic/ novelty, as opposed to Pulp’s nicely voiced passion. The choir is an interesting touch. But I think it’ll probably be in the sale bins by now. ;)

I see he also covered Gary Numan's 'Cars'. Now that was unemotive in the frirst place (but oh those synths! - very powerful live).

Post 59 a (Cream: Sitting on top of the World) touched upon IMO the greatest of all ‘genres’ of covers:

- old blues song (Crossroads, You Shook Me, Whole Lotta ….., etc)
- young long haired English rock gods
- song extended & heavied with power drummer & bass
- screeching sexualised delivery
- stack of Marshalls, volume at 11
- ample chemicals

:king:

It simply does not get any better than that.

rick57 said:
Cream: Sitting on top of the World (sorry Muddy).

You should hear the original first - it wasn't Muddy. (Did Muddy ever record this one? I thought it was The Wolf. Maybe they both recorded it.)

Either way, it was first recorded by the Mississippi Sheiks. No way I'd give the nod to Cream over the Wolf or the Sheiks...

BTW, Robert Johnson changed the lyrics to the same tune and called it "Come on in my Kitchen".

Any cover by the Fall. A few that come to mind:

Legend of Xanadu (from NMEs Ruby Tracks Compilation) originally by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch

White Lightning (From 'Shiftwork), originally by The Big Bopper

Mr Pharmacist (From 'Bend Sinister') originally by The Other Half.

If you like DK, you should try LARD as well. This is a side project of Jello Biafra and Ministry.

While I was never into DOA, the record they made with Biafra is very good.

I should mention here Praire Home Invasion with Mojo Nixon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...art_li_1/002-1006604-8902464?v=glance&s=music

While the album is a mixed bag, there is one track, probably a cover as well, that I really enjoyed: "Convoy in the Sky".

the Mississippi Sheiks? Good name, haven't heard of them before.
I suspected it was pre Muddy, but not that old. Thanks for the tip!

"Come on in my Kitchen" – sounds more interesting.

Sitting on top of the World - Cream vs the Wolf or the Sheiks... it wasn’t a good example of latter electric supremacy, I’ll give you that.
I should have said Crossroads (Fillmore) or Spoonful.

No opinions on the heavy blues school of covers?

Two more:
just about any cover of "With a Little Help from My Friends"

The Flying Lizards dirt cheap version of "Summertime Blues"

Jeff

I asked two blues musicians today, one nearly 60 yo about the Mississippi Sheiks, neither could name a song.

How in tarnation did learn so much about the real old blues – are you from the chitlin circuit y’self, pray tell?
Mai? sounds like a delta name?

Mo'Jimi

Some folks mentioned "All Along The Watchtower". His first hit, "Hey Joe", was written by *google google google*... oops, the provenance is somewhat murky. Just as a reminder, y'all can't forget the primal fury of JH's live version of Sunshine Of Your Love, or the N different renditions of "Star Spangled Banner".

Francois.

covers

Lisandro, If you like the Jeff Buckley´s version of Hallelujah -sooo beautiful-, please check out John Cale´s one in Inrockuptible´s ¨I´m your fan¨ cd, circa 1991, a most excellent album of Leonard Cohen covers.

For Bob Dylan fans:
pleeeeease, check out ¨may your song always be sung¨ vol l.
It´s a german bona fide covers compilation.
There´s a lot of great stuff in that cd.
My favourite gem is the bizarre version of ¨Knockin´ on heaven´s door¨ by an eccentric finnish combo called Leningrad Cowboys (and including the subsonical voices of the Russian Army Chorus). Cool attitude, top notch sound.

Cheers