Coupling Caps in Aleph Ono/XOno and Aleph X0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I want to know which coupling caps Nelson use in the Aleph Ono/XOno. Specialy the smaller 10u cap between the non inverting output and the input of the inverter stage. I saw a picture of an opened X0 preamplifier and it seems that there are the same smaller caps are used.

Regards

Ralph

I believe Nelson leans towards the Panasonic metal film caps available from Digikey for his production models. They're reasonably priced, and sound decent. I'll try to remember to get the part number when I get home tonight, but don't stay up late waiting for me to post, as I've got new-born twin boys waiting at home and I often find my wife handing me a wailing baby as soon as I walk through the door. There's nothing like the smell of a used diaper to flatten brain waves (and good intentions).
Add to that the fact that my wife has had a rough day and needs a sanity break, and someone may need to remind me if I don't get to it in the next 24 hours or so.
My take is that the WIMA polypropylene/metal film caps sound better in the mids and top, abeit at somewhat higher cost. See Mouser for those.
Boutique caps get hugely expensive. Do they sound good? In many cases, yes. Do they sound better than their more pedestrian cousins? Yes, some of them do. Are they worth the prices charged? That's up to you--just be aware that you're climbing a very steep hill in terms of cost/benefit ratios.
When I'm in the mood to drop the extra dollar, I tend towards the Multi-Cap MTX (I think that's the right designation--it's the polystyrene/metal film version), but be forewarned, they're not cheap. I don't often splurge on those.
Discussions of caps tend to get contentious. Don't be surprised if people start flaming one another.
Don't say you weren't warned.

Grey

Cool !

Ahhh I'm wrong
What's brand of orange capacitor ?

Attachments

• 1226.jpg
    1226.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,159
Hello,

I used the Wima MKP4 10u caps very successfully in my Aleph P and also in the first version of my Aleph Ono. In the meantime I have a new revision of my Ono with cheaper coupling caps from Mundorf. But it is nearly impossible to check out what cap is better if you are not able to make a direct A/B comparison.

I noticed on a picture of the XOno that Nelson use two different kind of 10u coupling caps and I was very curious which capacitor he use between the stages. What is also interested with these caps is that they need much less place on the PCB.

In an older German article about the Aleph X0 preamplifier (which become their number one afterwards) I saw the same caps and it seems that Nelson use them also as coupling caps at the output (two in parallel). As a consequence that means that these kind of caps can't be that bad.

What I can't understand is why Nelson use different 10u caps at the output of the Ono and between the output and the inverter stage.

Regards

Ralph

Those Panasonics aren't bad, try bypassing with 0.001 polystyrene.

The limitation with commercial product is often pcb space.

Try a Hovland if space permits, they quite smooth and detailed.

I have used them in crossovers with Alephs and they sang beautifully.

Macka

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.