Counterfeit IC die revealed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
True , hard to find that in the texas instruments data sheet , but i found it in the National semiconductor lm338 datasheet, page 3, somewhere in the middle :
"Note 2: These specifications are applicable for power dissipations up to 50W for the TO-3 (K) package and 25W for the TO-220 (T) package.
Yes, I see that in the National sheet. Right below where it claims 8 amps of current with ≤10 volts differential, which is 80 watts. How can that be? I don't get it.......

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You're probably over thinking it, I'm often guilty of the same thing.. :D Basically the device doesn't meet some key specifications if dissipation exceeds 50W (most likely thermal drift and a few other things) or it is a typo.

I think the take away here is that average dissipation shouldn't exceed 50W, higher dissipations to the limit of 80W are acceptable if the voltage across the device is 10V or less. Reliability is likely to be adversely affected.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would be doubtful, it's awfully cheap and the logo doesn't look as cleanly rendered as on the few I have seen in the past.

They are no longer recommended for new designs and currently there don't seem to be any in distribution here in the U.S.

I paid a lot of money for the last ones I purchased from Digi-Key a few years ago.

I've not found eBay to be worth the risk for parts like this.

I don't understand the economics of counterfeiting chips to sell on eBay. Doesn't it take a lot of work to make one from scratch?

Well if you can make money making counterfeit eggs and grapes........ (eggs I sorta get, but grapes.... that would take a longggg time and a lot of effort)

I bet a lot of this stuff is a result of factories sitting idle - might as well make something.

Fake audiophile opamps: OPA627 (AD744?!) : ZeptoBars

I remember reading on uh hackaday I think - can't find the article now - about some counterfeit IC that was actually performing better the original.

Stuff is pretty interesting!

Just read the article. Those faked OPA627AUs are just remarked chips. I don't think anyone could acquire wafers from AD or BB. The source is important if you want buy stuff from China. For instance, Weiliang is a good source. They only sell authentic parts.

BTW, I have some authentic OPA627AUs on Swat Meet section.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I was saying that claims of perfection in datasheets are not more useful than a momentary entertainment purpose, and that the parts are sure to differ.

I am a hardware designer for a lifetime and always used datasheets as basic input. These are specifications delivered and guaranteed from the manufacturers. And if the parts fail to meet these specs, the OEM is in trouble.

So your claim looks ridicolous to me, can you prove some evidence?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.