Corner FTC line array with ~2.5" drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Onni,

Just saw this thread? Have you made any progress?

I like the waveguide idea. It is looking pretty good. I'm even more excited by the prospect of having comparable measurements for all these drivers. Would be good to see some high res outdoor measurements of these drivers.

First measurements - the TC5FB00

First up is the smallest one, the TC5FB00! It truly is tiny, with a diameter that is smaller than the R2604 (tweeter) that I've used earlier.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The screws look large, but they are 3x30 mm... I didn't recess the driver, but it only has a <1 mm front plate.

I made a simple box for testing the drivers by heavily stuffing a ~6 l box made of 19 mm MDF:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The edges are chamfered and the driver is placed off-center to reduce diffraction influence.

Measurements are done outside at 1 m distance about 1.7 m above ground.

Here is the results at 0 to 60 deg with 1/24 octave smoothing, no gating:

And with psychoacoustic smoothing:
KMEjtBJ.jpg

Compare to manufacture data:

This is the impulse- and step-response on axis:

This is distortion at about 76 dB:

And at about 87 dB:

Interesting driver IMO! I'll try rear mounting it to see if those off-axis dips can be fixed. In that case it it could definitely be used as a tweeter down to about 500 Hz!

/Anton

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nice setup. You can probably avoid the 10 kHz dip if you flush mount it. 11 kHz is approximately 1 inch, which might be the edge of the driver, which looks like it is a little off from the baffle.

There is a lot to like about the response. And it's much smaller. I think arraying multiple drivers could get you to maybe 300 Hz comfortably. But that's not enough. You really need to get to about a 100 Hz comfortably. Maybe you can do some math to figure out the distortion at 100 Hz to hit 110 db with a floor to ceiling array of these drivers.

Excited to see these though! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Onni,
How about a FTC horn-loaded array using a vertically-aligned narrow slot style entry (e.g. 1.5cm wide)?
My guess is you'd get the improved driver dispersion (reduced driver beaming) in the horizontal plane whilst being able to use a larger driver (e.g. TC9) to reach lower.

Also, why are you not pursuing a corner-loaded synergy speaker?

Nice setup. You can probably avoid the 10 kHz dip if you flush mount it. 11 kHz is approximately 1 inch, which might be the edge of the driver, which looks like it is a little off from the baffle.

There is a lot to like about the response. And it's much smaller. I think arraying multiple drivers could get you to maybe 300 Hz comfortably. But that's not enough. You really need to get to about a 100 Hz comfortably. Maybe you can do some math to figure out the distortion at 100 Hz to hit 110 db with a floor to ceiling array of these drivers.

Excited to see these though! Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, I agree. Probably more useful for other stuff than FTC arrays. 110 dB is insanely loud though, I seldom play above 80 dB in my living room. I'm usually aiming for 95 dB/1 m at reasonable distortion.

Hi Onni,
How about a FTC horn-loaded array using a vertically-aligned narrow slot style entry (e.g. 1.5cm wide)?
My guess is you'd get the improved driver dispersion (reduced driver beaming) in the horizontal plane whilst being able to use a larger driver (e.g. TC9) to reach lower.

Also, why are you not pursuing a corner-loaded synergy speaker?
Interesting ideas! I've never seen anyone slot-load something like the TC9, do you have any links? Intuitively I feel like it won't work though...

A corner synergy is still a possibility, although the corner FTC array looks very promising in the room it will sit in. And I've never made an array, so that would be fun.

/Anton

Interesting ideas!
/Anton
...do you have any links?
/Anton
I don't know of any specific slot-loaded 3.5" FR driver builds either. However, builds that may be of interest include:
XRK's trynergy build (tractrix horn loaded with a TC9) Presenting the Trynergy - a full range tractrix synergy.
Bushmeister's SB65 synergy build (similar build, horn entry diffraction taken care of - don't have the link on hand).
Intuitively I feel like it won't work though...
/Anton
I'd be interested to know what your intuition is telling you.
My main reservation is diffraction from the horn entry. However, assuming this can be mitigated (like Bushmeister's did in his build) I'm still optimistic :cool:
an array...would be fun.
/Anton
For sure!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.