• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Converting from UL to Triode: Is this correct?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hello all you smart helpful people. :)

I have an EL34 P-P tube amp that currently runs in UL mode.

I'd like to convert it to Triode mode to see if I like the sound.

I have done some research and come up with the plan on the diagram.

Is it correct?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Also, where I have marked the red question marks, is this a feedback loop? Should I leave it alone?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
One more thing; I realize that dropping from UL to triode will result in a pretty dramatic reduction in power, however I am curious just how much of a reduction I can expect.

Am I looking at, say 6 watts?

In its current state, it is rated at 25 wpc (but my guess is it is less).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ideally the cathode bias will require adjusting and separate resistors and bypass capacitors would be better than the common scheme used here.The primary transformer impedance may not be the best match for triode operation.

I don't really know how to adjust cathode bias (or any bias, for that matter).

WRT bypass caps, I wouldn't know where to put them...

You definitely want to *measure* the screen current as you reach clipping.
The role of that resistor (which is essential) is to limit the screen current in order to prevent premature tube failure.

Ignore the power loss, it ought to be marginally audible, if at all.

There is no need to change the feedback values, except if there is HF compensation, that ought to be adjusted (anyhow, regardless if a change is made) for best square wave response - 1kHz as a midband point is a typical freq to check with. The feedback resistor sets the overall amplifier gain, and while in triode mode you have less overall gain, the difference is small. You could consider reducing the feedback, increasing the gain, but that result will need to be evaluated in light of the harmonic distortion levels and spectrum, and of course how it sounds to you.

_-_-

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I hate to say it, but I'm one of those guys who knows just enough electronics to be dangerous. I need things spelled out for me or I end up breaking things.

For example, how exactly would I go about measuring the screen current? I assume I should do this before making any changes?

I have both a standard DMM and a very nice old Sangamo Weston Schlumberger analog meter (which works like it is brand new, AFAIK).

When UL is changed to triode the gain is reduced essentially.
As the GNFB components are not adjusted the feedback is smaller and THD higher than with UL.

Screen grid resistors are mainly for preventing oscillation. Put some 470...820 ohms to screen grids and you need to measure or worry about nothing.
The tube failure due to excessive G2 current is not potential or even possible with triode connection as it is in pentode connection.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
One more thing; I realize that dropping from UL to triode will result in a pretty dramatic reduction in power, however I am curious just how much of a reduction I can expect.

In its current state, it is rated at 25 wpc (but my guess is it is less).

Typically 1/2 of what it is running in Pentode. M EL34 PP is 40 W pentode/20 W triode.

If you bias it into Class A triode about 8w.

25w UL is less than the typical 35 w of so.

dave

Joined 2011
Paid Member
That seems to be the almost universal Chinese EL34 PP schematic...

dave

If that's the case, then perhaps some folks have other suggestions on how to get the best out of this amp.

I've already replaced C4 and C5 with Russian K40Y PIO, and C3 with Sprague orange drops.

Been running it like this for a long time and love how it sounds, but want to hear triode.

That seems to be the almost universal Chinese EL34 PP schematic...

Looks awfully familiar, doesn't it.:)

I've already replaced C4 and C5 with Russian K40Y PIO, and C3 with Sprague orange drops.

I went all K40's for coupling in my 302b.

Been running it like this for a long time and love how it sounds, but want to hear triode.

I really liked my amp in triode mode, running Russian 6P3S-E's. Sadly, it's collecting dust at the moment. I built a Pete Millett DCPP amp, which has become my "daily driver".

jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.